Florida box turtle vs. Ornate box turtle

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
"Florida box turtle vs. Ornate box turtle"

The following is a photo briefing on the general comparisons between two well-known American species of box turtle that are commonly confused with one another.

The Florida box turtle (Terrapene carolina bauri or Terrapene bauri) and the Ornate box turtle (Terrapene ornata ornata) are often mixed up due to the similarities found in their markings. On the carapace, the conspicuous bars or lines of yellow contrasting a dark background color are nearly the same on both species however, several traits set them apart. The shape and structure of the head, shape of the shell and other distinct attributes certainly set them apart.

In the following photos, typical characteristics found on either turtle can easily be viewed.

*PLEASE keep in mind that it is crucial to recognize variability in any species of turtle or tortoise. For example, three toes on each rear foot is most commonly encountered on the Florida box turtle much like that of the Three-toed box turtle (T. c. triunguis) yet, four toes may also be exhibited in certain specimens or localities.
This is only a quick comparison but I surely hope it helps those finding it difficult to differentiate the two.

Please feel free to share and pin this.
Chris

BAURI ORNATA1 copy.jpg BAURI ORNATA2 copy.jpg BAURI ORNATA3 copy.jpg BAURI ORNATA4 copy.jpg BAURI ORNATA5 copy.jpg BAURI ORNATA6 copy.jpg BAURI ORNATA7 copy.jpg BAURI ORNATA8 copy.jpg

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
"Florida box turtle vs. Ornate box turtle"

The following is a photo briefing on the general comparisons between two well-known American species of box turtle that are commonly confused with one another.

The Florida box turtle (Terrapene carolina bauri or Terrapene bauri) and the Ornate box turtle (Terrapene ornata ornata) are often mixed up due to the similarities found in their markings. On the carapace, the conspicuous bars or lines of yellow contrasting a dark background color are nearly the same on both species however, several traits set them apart. The shape and structure of the head, shape of the shell and other distinct attributes certainly set them apart.

In the following photos, typical characteristics found on either turtle can easily be viewed.

*PLEASE keep in mind that it is crucial to recognize variability in any species of turtle or tortoise. For example, three toes on each rear foot is most commonly encountered on the Florida box turtle much like that of the Three-toed box turtle (T. c. triunguis) yet, four toes may also be exhibited in certain specimens or localities.
This is only a quick comparison but I surely hope it helps those finding it difficult to differentiate the two.

Please feel free to share and pin this.
Chris

View attachment 205685 View attachment 205686 View attachment 205687 View attachment 205688 View attachment 205689 View attachment 205690 View attachment 205691 View attachment 205692

Great stuff Chris! Thanks for sharing!

Greta16

Western Maine
In Maine were sopposed to have box turtles. I've never seen one, I'd love to. We have painted turtles galore and snappers. A couple summers ago I counted 35 painted turtles of various sizes sunning themselves on logs in my bog. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places...?

barrabuss

texas
had no clue on the differences, now i do. When i was in Jr High, lived in west Texas by the desert. My stepdad would bring home wild box turtles often. We had 15 in the back yard, how i loved watching them. I would turn on the water hose and make a small stream for them all to drink from.

caithegreat83

Stuart, Florida
Thanks for posing this! I live in FL and find box turtles all the time. I have an Ornate also at home that is a rescue. When I find them I always check them over and then let them go on their way, but since my ornate was found wondering the streets I wanted to make sure I wasn't letting a non-native species back into the wild!