Flooded sulcata eggs

Fruitguy

Location (City and/or State)
mesa,az
I'm new to this. My sulcata laid a nice clutch. I was going to let them hatch in the ground, but they were inadvertantly flooded four inches deep in water. Will they still hatch? Anyone experience this?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Depends upon how long they were flooded and if the surface was simply holding water or if the egg chamber itself filled with water. The eggs will suffocate if submerged for very long. If you want to ground hatch, it is important to have an area for nesting that will not flood.

Fruitguy

mesa,az
Depends upon how long they were flooded and if the surface was simply holding water or if the egg chamber itself filled with water. The eggs will suffocate if submerged for very long. If you want to ground hatch, it is important to have an area for nesting that will not flood.
I believe the chamber was soaked or floooded for over a day. My guess is they are dead

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I agree with Tom. If only a day or two, I would definately incubate. There is a good chance they could still be OK. especially if very early in the incubation stages.

Fruitguy

mesa,az
thanks. i guess nobody has actually experienced it to know for sure, so i will give it t a try. thanks