Flood-proofing tortoise homes

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Can anyone please explain to me one or more ways to protect a Russian tortoises' home from rain and flooding? I keep a small group of Russian torts indoors currently due to a cold from. Keep in mind that I live in Texas, by the way. I would very much love to keep them outdoors permanently in hopes that they will naturally hibernate and be able to breed come the spring. So I had to ask this question for some advice in keeping them nice and dry without the worry of flooding or bad weather. Thank you.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
The best way is to provide the enclosure with high spots that will stay dry. You can build shelters that are water tight and providing a roof. You can use tarp on part of the enclosure have it leaning one way so the water goes out of the enclousre. You can make drainage lower spots that guide water out of the enclosure. Many types of ways to keep the enclosure dry.

Kyle

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
The best way is to provide the enclosure with high spots that will stay dry. You can build shelters that are water tight and providing a roof. You can use tarp on part of the enclosure have it leaning one way so the water goes out of the enclousre. You can make drainage lower spots that guide water out of the enclosure. Many types of ways to keep the enclosure dry.

Kyle

Thanks for the info. And given that Russian torts specialize in living in the steppes of Asia, higher mound-like homes would make much more sense. Are there possibly any examples of such homes?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is not safe to hibernate them outdoors. They are likely to die in one of several ways. Hibernate them safely indoors in a fridge to maintain correct cold consistent temperatures.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It is not safe to hibernate them outdoors. They are likely to die in one of several ways. Hibernate them safely indoors in a fridge to maintain correct cold consistent temperatures.
The only times my Russian was left in his outside enclosure at night was if I forgot he was outside...but I was up at 3am kicking myself in the butt for forgetting and bringing him in. And kicking myself in the butt for several days after also...so I totally agree.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Thanks. I am not familiar with hibernating them in the fridge as I am scared that I might accidentally kill them. That is why I would rather they do it naturally, so I had to ask.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks. I am not familiar with hibernating them in the fridge as I am scared that I might accidentally kill them. That is why I would rather they do it naturally, so I had to ask.
Then wait on breeding...and don't hibernate until you are totally comfortable. I have never hibernated my Russian. I've had him 12 years on February14 2019. I'm not an expert. You should pay more attention to people that know more then me on tortoise forum. I will let him slow down in the fall and winter but I wake him up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Then wait on breeding...and don't hibernate until you are totally comfortable. I have never hibernated my Russian. I've had him 12 years on February14 2019. I'm not an expert. You should pay more attention to people that know more then me on tortoise forum. I will let him slow down in the fall and winter but I wake him up.
Dont worry, I dont plan on breeding anytime soon. They are still too young, I believe. Basically, I am looking for advice for the future. Atm I only take them outdoors during summer days and bring them into their indoor enclosures the colder days. Yes, the male has his own pad just in case he decodes to harass the girls.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Here is more info on the topic. I explain the process in post number 19 of this thread:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/looking-for-an-rt-hibernation-mentor.128790/
Thanks again for this helpful link. I don't plan on breeding them anytime soon. Matter of fact, my spotty and my eastern muddy are the only ones outside prepping up for hibernation for the 2nd year so I will not see them until March or April. Ive actually always been very careful with my torts, keeping them dry from the rain and using the proper lighting and diet. I thank everyone here for any input that I may be unaware of when it comes to raising my animals, all this and more is very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Dont worry, I dont plan on breeding anytime soon. They are still too young, I believe. Basically, I am looking for advice for the future. Atm I only take them outdoors during summer days and bring them into their indoor enclosures the colder days. Yes, the male has his own pad just in case he decodes to harass the girls.
I wasn't worried...I'm like that too...preparing ahead of time...lol best wishes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I lost quite a few russians tortoises during hibernation in my first years of keeping Russians. I didn't realize how sensitive they were to getting wet while hibernating. If you can build them a water tight shelter, up on a rise, it should be ok. Add enough dirt to make a mound that is higher than the floodplain would be should your yard flood, then put down cement stepping stones for a base, and build your shelter on that. Bear in mind the temperature inside the shelter should be between 40 and 50F. . . not less than 40 so they don't freeze, and not more than 50 so they can go fully into brumation mode.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Can anyone please explain to me one or more ways to protect a Russian tortoises' home from rain and flooding? I keep a small group of Russian torts indoors currently due to a cold from. Keep in mind that I live in Texas, by the way. I would very much love to keep them outdoors permanently in hopes that they will naturally hibernate and be able to breed come the spring. So I had to ask this question for some advice in keeping them nice and dry without the worry of flooding or bad weather. Thank you.
Even if you don't hibernate your tortoises outdoors, you need to address the flooding hazard. As I'm sure you already know, floods can happen at any time of year. So plan for flooding, and build in some contingencies to protect (and contain) your tortoise if the unforeseen deluge occurs when you're not at home.

That's the beauty of asking these questions ahead of time. It makes the future enclosure that much better.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Even if you don't hibernate your tortoises outdoors, you need to address the flooding hazard. As I'm sure you already know, floods can happen at any time of year. So plan for flooding, and build in some contingencies to protect (and contain) your tortoise if the unforeseen deluge occurs when you're not at home.

That's the beauty of asking these questions ahead of time. It makes the future enclosure that much better.
So true. Thank you!

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
I lost quite a few russians tortoises during hibernation in my first years of keeping Russians. I didn't realize how sensitive they were to getting wet while hibernating. If you can build them a water tight shelter, up on a rise, it should be ok. Add enough dirt to make a mound that is higher than the floodplain would be should your yard flood, then put down cement stepping stones for a base, and build your shelter on that. Bear in mind the temperature inside the shelter should be between 40 and 50F. . . not less than 40 so they don't freeze, and not more than 50 so they can go fully into brumation mode.
That helps tremendously! Thanks much. And sorry that happened to you. But at least it is good that I am getting this info for future use. I will try and draw up plans for a brand new enclosure later on down the road.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

It's what I love about tortoise forum. I get to read about people's experiences and reminds me what to pay attention to. Some things I already know but I still want that reminder because it could be what triggers a memory...and helps me help my beautiful walking rock.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
It's what I love about tortoise forum. I get to read about people's experiences and reminds me what to pay attention to. Some things I already know but I still want that reminder because it could be what triggers a memory...and helps me help my beautiful walking rock.
You and me both, and I'm sure as well as other here feel the same even the most experienced of owners. To me, turtles and tortoises, when properly cared for, make the perfect pets for me.