Flipping Tortoises/ Eraser

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Okay, so a few years ago I was on the internet doing research on CDT, while looking at nearly every article that I came across I read this article from one of the Nevada Conservation groups (I have now just searched and searched and can not run across it) it was one of the state operated facilities and for the life of me I can not recall exact title...anyhow here is my piece of information;

There was a biologist that experimented with a simple eraser, the kind we all likely had in school...the rectangular slanted end type (usually pink).

So the article said she noticed that when there was an issue of flipping it was easily corrected by adhering one of those pink erasers to the top center of the shell (dome) which allowed a kickstand type affect... they even showed pics of it in action.

The eraser cut in half (short ways not long way) and then adhered (a type of clear epoxy type substance) to the center top of the tortoise dome (was done on Desert Tortoises) and if the tortoise flipped it would never be "flat" on its back but kinda kicked towards a side which allowed it to flip itself back over with much less effort and allowed a foot or two to be able to reach the ground because of the kickstand type affect????

I have never had a tort that continued to flip itself, but after reading that article I always said I would do it if I ever had a tort that was a habitual offender :p Just sharing.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Very interesting. I guess I too would think of doing something if my tortoise continued to flip, it's so scary when they do that. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.