FLEX SEAL uses for tortoise keeping

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
FLEX SEAL has been mentioned in the past as a possible way to seal a wooden enclosure or to waterproof other structures.
One of my cement tortoise pools has been lined and re lined with fiberglass resin. It lasts about a year and then delamination starts.
So, this time I'm trying FLEX SEAL liquid.
My initial impression is that it's very expensive. I bought two tiny 16 ounce cans for about $40.
White. Because it was cheapest.
I applied it with a paint brush. It brushes on like thick latex paint. (In fact, that might be exactly what it is)
There is no real odor. No noticeable fumes. And it claims to be 100% non toxic. Wet or cured and totally safe for fish and animals.
That's GREAT news since about an hour after I applied the first can, one of my stubborn Redfoot knocked over a small barricade and walked through the area. That animal now has FLEX SEALed feet.
The stuff wipes/peels off just like latex paint. (Again)
Aside from the little pond now having footprints all through it. The job seems to be a success.
I'll get photos tomorrow when I either fill it up with water, or ad the other can.
From what I'm seeing. I don't think it's going to be durable enough to hold up to tortoise claws.

20201011_194353.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
That's GREAT news since about an hour after I applied the first can, one of my stubborn Redfoot knocked over a small barricade and walked through the area.

typical tortoise ? I am about to try flex seal myself with the roof of an indoor enclosure. Haven't bought yet but I am happy to hear it's non toxic and there aren't fumes.

What if you put a pond liner above the flex seal? https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOTALPOND-7-ft-x-10-ft-Pond-Liner-52250/202017064

I only have indoor experience but I had my enclosure lined for YEARS with this stuff and it's proven to be tough against tortoise claws.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
How about Alien Tape ? ?
I don't use either though. When Sheldon was little I used the terra cotta saucer.
He got bigger and I moved him up to quiche dishes. For his lastest size up, I found
serving trays in Walmart that are 14 inch circles to use for his self soaking experiences. ??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used it to seal two chicken coops. They have survived 1 1/2 years so far. Rain, snow, sun. They look as new as the day I sealed them.
I purchased a gallon on line of the clear for 85 bucks. I did 2 coats on the outside if each coop and the floors inside. I have just under a half gallon left.
I think it's great stuff and probably will last longer then you think and probably more durable.

Cleveland Tennessee
I’m really glad you posted this! When I had questions about sealing off Pearl’s enclosure someone mentioned flex seal. My first instinct was NOOO TOXIC. And I was also a little put off at doing something super permanent in case it went south. So I curious how it turns out for you!

Side note— you were extremely helpful when I first got her and had so many questions, and I was terrified of doing the wrong things. All of your advice really made a difference for my now happy Pearl Girl. So, thank you ☺️

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
My initial impression is that it's very expensive. I bought two tiny 16 ounce cans for about $40.
White. Because it was cheapest.
I applied it with a paint brush. It brushes on like thick latex paint. (In fact, that might be exactly what it is)

Pretty sure this stuff is a vinyl rubber dissolved in a proprietary solvent. Basically the same as Plastidip. I have used a different brand again of the same kind of thing (its been around for years and years) for some car parts. If its thick enough it is quite durable, if you use on a non-porous surface without a primer it adheres very well but can also be peeled off if needed.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Footprints and all.
Here is the finished product.
It holds water.
I placed a little fence next to this pool so that my tortoise that likes to flip over wont try to attempt to enter from the side.
This pool has a wall on the side from an older. Small enclosure I had there. The others are all bowl shaped.

Attachments

• 20201014_100750.jpg
    20201014_100750.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 20201014_095033.jpg
    20201014_095033.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
how long does it take to dry? I just bought some but am wondering if I need to remove the door from the tortoise enclosure if its going to take a while, or if an hour or two of drying indoors would do it

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
how long does it take to dry? I just bought some but am wondering if I need to remove the door from the tortoise enclosure if its going to take a while, or if an hour or two of drying indoors would do it
No
Mine was dry to the touch after about 6 hours, and a tortoise visit.
It's dry to handle in 12 hours and can be used after 24 hours.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I poured some on a brick as a test object.
It really clings pretty well.
It also resists scraping off.
The pool looks like Hell.
But the water is staying put.
Now my group has 3 watering holes again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No
Mine was dry to the touch after about 6 hours, and a tortoise visit.
It's dry to handle in 12 hours and can be used after 24 hours.
How did you apply/spread it? How thick is it compared to paint?

Thanks for this thread. I've been wondering about this product for years. Let us know how it holds up over the next few months.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I poured some on a brick as a test object.
It really clings pretty well.
It also resists scraping off.
The pool looks like Hell.
But the water is staying put.
Now my group has 3 watering holes again!
I would spray over it with a stone spray.. thats just me im ocd haha

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
How did you apply/spread it? How thick is it compared to paint?

Thanks for this thread. I've been wondering about this product for years. Let us know how it holds up over the next few months.
I brushed it on.
Its heavy. Maybe the consistency of liquid nails or tube caulk. Maybe a little thinner.
At least twice as thick as latex paint.
I like it right now.
Time will tell.

Skip K

Virginia
I’ve had varied results with Flex Seal liquid. On plastic it does work...but does not hold up well to a turtles nails. Flex seal has worked well as a sealant for painted building wood...as a second barrier.. which is buried in the ground ( enclosure walls) but results have varied with adherence to pressure treated wood (especially pressure treated wood that is still “wet”). Flex Seal also does a good job of “spot” sealing problem areas that develop...but if your enclosure wood has been painted not only for protection but for aesthetic appeal...remember Flex Seal liquid cannot be painted over to match the original paint. So unless the original paint is black...any spot repairs you make down the road ...will be just that...black spots. I’ve never yet seen any of our turtles or torts attempt to eat the Flex Seal off a enclosure wall or eat floating bits in water that have been dislodged.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok
It really feels good on that cement.
It feels just like what it is...A rubber lined pond.
I tossed in some mosquito fish. They lived. I consulted the garden pond forum. It's been used for a bunch of ornamental pond applications successfully. And with fishes and turtles.
Everything I can find about it says it's "food grade and non toxic" when dry.
And that it is 100% safe for use with animals...however, its NOT intended for use with human drinking water containers. Just "animals".
I'm thinking that's a knee jerk reaction to protect them from lawsuits from some idiot drinking it to cure an ulcer, etc.
The descriptions of being food grade. Then not safe for humans is funny.
I'm pretty sure that the Redfoot that walked around in it ingested some while still very wet. She was covered in it.
She's fine, too.