Flavomarginata

dovelett15

10 Year Member!
I work with this species and they are certainly one of the hardest, social and equally beautiful of the Asian turtles. Glad you are working with them!

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
I work with this species and they are certainly one of the hardest, social and equally beautiful of the Asian turtles. Glad you are working with them!
Hardest or hardiest?

dovelett15

10 Year Member!
I meant to write hardiest, oops! My colony includes LTC adults I have had for 15 years and have had no health issues with them.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Great photos!

I have 7 of them, now, with a couple more coming in a week or so. All juveniles, unfortunately. Right now it's 3.4, but it will be 4.5. They have a ways to go though, since these guys get kinda large, as far as I'm used to. How large are everyone else's? How large/heavy are breeders?

dovelett15

10 Year Member!
My largest females weigh in at 2 pounds and measure at 6.5- 7 inches. The male breeders are equally big boys being comparable to my jumbo girls.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I don't have SCL on them, but weights around 750-850 grams. Probably 6.5-7".

@Anthony P, have you observed any difference in the animals in your group? Charlie and I have both noticed animals with a distinct higher domed shell, and some with a flatter, streamlined carapace. The gold bar on the head looks different between the two as well. Among the trio of adults, the male has a very wide head, and he and one female have a higher domed shell; however, the third female is much flatter. Interestingly, the flatter female is much more graceful in the water. Perhaps two ssp., one naturally more aquatic then the other? The flatter/streamlined carapace seems to allow for better swimming. The heads of the males also seem to be on average wider, something I haven't seen mentioned in literature.

What I'm interested in is at what size CB animals will begin to breed. In many species, second and third generation CB animals seem to produce earlier and more ova than their WC counterparts. None of my younger flavo's are anywhere near reproducing, but Charlie's are getting quite large!

I have 9 flavo's here right now, the 2.3 TMG animals, the 1.2 adults from @CharlieM, and the sole hatchling produced so far. Funny to think that just 10 months ago I had my first experience with them!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
That's so cool!

@Turtlepete I have seen the differences. That's what I love most about all of the measurements that the TMG makes us do. I have some that are round like meatballs and others that are very flat, as well. Definitely interesting.

I pick up two more on Thursday, which will give me 9 total, just like you :)

Turtlepete

South Florida
I haven't actually compared my latest measurements to see the ratio between shell height and carapace length. Next set of measurements is due in November, so it will be interesting. I didn't really notice the differences developing until recently.