Fish tank as hatchling enclosure?

kobemega

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi guys,
I'm still planning the enclosure for my hermann tortoise, whom I will be getting in just 6 months now (so excited!). I will be getting a hatchling (less than a year old). Originally I had planned on making a tortoise table with an old dresser turned on its back that had been sealed to moisture and all that.
Recently I've heard that this is not the best option for such a young hermann's tortoise, that it's actually better to use a fish tank since it's easier to control the humidity, which is supposedly very important in the first few months to prevent pyramiding.
This would actually be really sweet if it were true, because I currently have a 55 gallon tank, a 75 gallon tank, and a 180 gallon tank just sitting empty, all with canopies that would support lights and keep the humidity in.

So here are my questions:
1: would a fish tank really be better suited for a Hermann's tortoise that's 1-11 months old?
2: if yes, which size tank would be best? Would 55 be too small? Would 180 be too big? I can get dimensions this weekend if that would help.

Thanks for the help!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
55 would be sufficient for that size of tort....just remember, if you are going to run the consistently high humidity method---please do not ever let the temps drop below 80 degrees ever (day and night no less than 80) or you may find yourself with an ailing tort....