First World tort problems

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
Odin is having a rough week.
Catastrophe number one:
Yesterday when we were outside in his playpen, he for some reason decided to enter his burrow on the north side (which he has never done before) and angled his descent wrong when going in.
He flipped himself over.
It may be the first time he ever did it where he had actually had an 1/8 of a second to realize what dire straits he had gotten himself into. (it was 20-30 seconds). Heck, it may have been the first times ever!
I was watching him, I saw him slide, I stood up, I saw him reach for the next point of purchase for his claws, and as soon as he did it I knew it was the wrong one. I moved, like a ninja (or a middle aged lady after a long day at work) and by the time I traversed the the 12 foot distance of thigh-high plants in an ankle-length skirt, he was upside down, frantically trying to cling to the stepping stone that is the top of his burrow, before I could save him.
He was so freaking cute I, for a millisecond, considered hopping back those 12 feet to grab my camera, but I like Odin more than I like adorable pics, so I didn't. So, here's a pic of how he usually goes into his burrow.

Ridiculously cute, I know.
071.JPG

I immediately snatched him up and brought him to his "pool" (the terracotta dish at the south end of the enclosure) where he sat, stunned and grumpy for nearly 5 minutes, before starting to eat his way across the playpen again.

Catastrophe number two:
Today, when I was at work, my son texted me to tell me that Odin's UVA/B light went out. I immediately ordered a new one and about 5 hours later got home to take him outside (my son was at work).
Odin was so grumpy he wouldn't come out of his indoor burrow, even when I misted the enclosure! (usually he runs out, angry as a sack of feral cats to see what I am up to).
When I dug him out he wouldn't come out of his shell. When I set him in the playpen, he wouldn't come out of his shell. When I set a squash flower in front of him..well, he came out for that after about 5 minutes.

But he wolfed it down and then sat in the same spot, NOT EATING, for the next hour.

003.JPG

Eventually he ate his way in circles for the hour until bedtime (6:30), but, for him, the most spoiled sully in all of the land, this has been a rough week.

He is that tiny dot of shell behind the barely visible paving stone and the grapevine.....
011.JPG

Yeah....my heart is breaking for him.:rolleyes:

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
While wearing low waisted skinny jeans and a fedora...
I had better hide my black eyeliner......

Funny! You have a wonderful yard, both human and tortoise friendly.
That garden is all Odin's, and he does not enjoy sharing.
When I planted it I never anticipated getting anything for the humans in the household from it, although since it has exploded with growth we have gotten some mesclun and mustard for salads and sandwiches so far, which has been nice (don't tell Odin!)
I have a separate human garden nearby with tomatoes and onions and several other tasty treats, and more human and tort food growing on the deck.
Like I said, he is certainly one of the most spoiled torts in all of the land.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Well, my son could not stand the sulking anymore and could not wait another few days for delivery of the new bulb so he ran out and bought a new MVB for him today (spending $20 more than I did online)

So. Darn. Spoiled.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Well, my son could not stand the sulking anymore and could not wait another few days for delivery of the new bulb so he ran out and bought a new MVB for him today (spending $20 more than I did online)

So. Darn. Spoiled.
Hahahahaha!!!! :p

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Oh my goodness, this entire thread is epic. I love it!!! Where did you get that sign for his garden? SO flippin' precious!!