First vet visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Vernon Hills, IL
You all may have read my previous post, where I bragged about my new vet.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-My-new-vet

Well, we took our two Greeks on Saturday, and it was really great. My big fear was that he would tell me to keep Cujo and Tweek dry and on rabbit food or something, and that I would have to grin and bear it while wishing I could run the other way. Well, it wasn't like that at all! He looked them over, told me that they look better than 95% of the tortoises he sees, and that I'm doing a really good job. But he said that they were just a bit flexible, which he didn't like at one year old. :( He pointed to their slightly sunken shoulders, and explained how the muscles pull the shell in if they're not perfectly hard. He wants them much more solid. He did a stool sample on one of them - Tweek, whose poop has always been mushy. No issues there! So, he recommended the following.

1. He gave me a tube of Silver Sulfadiazine for some spots on Tweek's shell. There are a few spots that are a big flaky. He scraped them with a pick and said they don't look bad; that he may have gotten a burn at some point, and gave me the cream to put on it.
2. He told me he strongly suggests getting a UV meter. I ordered one today; a Solarmeter 6.2.
3. More calcium. I'll be putting it in all their food.
4. More sunlight. It's just starting to get to that time of year, so we'll try to get them out as much as possible.

He gave me a bunch of literature, including stuff from the Chicago Chelonian Society and NARBC happening next weekend (anyone else going?) All in all, it was a great experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.