First-timer from NJ

Tort-Rex

Hello! I'm new to the TFO and I just wanted to introduce myself. I've had my Russian tortoise, Rex for about a month now and occasionally, I have lots of questions, so I thought joining would be a great idea. Here are some pics of him, we don't know how old he is, but I am pretty sure he's a male:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403636466.030814.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403636482.583345.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403636498.342810.jpg

By the way, he's my first tortoise ever but I have had many african sideneck turtles and currently have four of them

Sorry to not mention it before, my name is Colleen and I have a tortoise/turtle obsession : )

Last edited by a moderator:

Flipper

Location (City and/or State)
MO, USA
Hello! And welcome :)

Love Rex's name! I was going to name my Hermann's tortoise, Rex BUT I'm willing her to be a girl :rofl: AKA Tallula :p

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Colleen welcome to the TFO from AZ . Russians are great ! Have a great tort day . And now you can talk tort we all do !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Love russians. Be warned, the are great climbers and diggers! Also looks like your guy is shedding a bit, which is normal, but you might want to check that you have some humidity in his enclosure. 30% for an adult.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Colleen, and welcome to the Forum!

Tort-Rex

Love russians. Be warned, the are great climbers and diggers! Also looks like your guy is shedding a bit, which is normal, but you might want to check that you have some humidity in his enclosure. 30% for an adult.
What are some good ways to keep that humidity? I spritz him everyday, but just to make sure, if you know any good ways, please comment!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I use a humid hide which does the trick. Tipped over tera cotta pot full of moist moss. Near basking spot so it stays warm :) mine sleeps in this often.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
You can pour water on those terra-cotta pots. They soak it up readily. Mist the moss = happy sleeping place.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations.
Russians are great, a tail shot will let us confirm gender, if you wish.

Copper

Nothern Illinois
Welcome Colleen! What a nice looking tortoise, I have a Hermann tortoise and to keep up the humidity I mist/spray his enclosure once a day , it really helps.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. I think you made the right decision of join the forum. This is a great place to learn and share.

Welcome.

Tort-Rex

Thanks for the info guys, I can already tell that I will learn a lot from this site :)