First time tortoise owner

LeahK

Location (City and/or State)
Berkeley CA
Any adult tortoise would need a larger enclosure than that. They need to move around to explore and digest food. You might be able to house a baby in there, but you'd need a larger space in a year or two.

Marcus1990

North Port Florida
Any adult tortoise would need a larger enclosure than that. They need to move around to explore and digest food. You might be able to house a baby in there, but you'd need a larger space in a year or two.
Ok..how big should I go? Also what is an easy one to take care of that will remain pretty small

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome to the forum. The smallest tortoise that I know of is a Russian. They need a minimum of 32 square feet as an adult. They are pretty easy to take care of and a great tortoise to begin with. But they're a great tortoise anyway and a lot of fun. You gotta watch em though cause they don't call them an escape artist for nothing.?

LeahK

Berkeley CA
4 'x 8' is generally the rule, as Cathie said. I have a Russian, and I am getting a Hermann's soon as well. The Hermann does get a little bigger, but they need the same size enclosure since the Russians can move around so much! Adult Russians are pretty forgiving to mistakes, and they are definitely a lot of fun.

Marcus1990

North Port Florida
Hello and welcome to the forum. The smallest tortoise that I know of is a Russian. They need a minimum of 32 square feet as an adult. They are pretty easy to take care of and a great tortoise to begin with. But they're a great tortoise anyway and a lot of fun. You gotta watch em though cause they don't call them an escape artist for nothing.?
Ok cool! What are good things to put in the enclosure with them? What lights should I get and I understand they need a water dish to sit in?

Marcus1990

North Port Florida
4 'x 8' is generally the rule, as Cathie said. I have a Russian, and I am getting a Hermann's soon as well. The Hermann does get a little bigger, but they need the same size enclosure since the Russians can move around so much! Adult Russians are pretty forgiving to mistakes, and they are definitely a lot of fun.
Ok cool thanks!

judylemon87

BELLINGHAM WA
I just bought my daughter a testudo tortoise from petsmart and they did not now what they were doing i feel like. im terrified of it dying. my 11 yr old daughter has been through so much the last year this is supposed to help her and have a companion. but to be honest i really dont know what i am doing. i have tried researching but it is all very over whelming. and i need help. on everything. eating, bathing, everything!

Rocky219

Massachusetts
Ok cool! What are good things to put in the enclosure with them? What lights should I get and I understand they need a water dish to sit in?
Here is the caresheet for Russians and Hermanns (and other tortoises too). This covers everything and will help you keep a happy and healthy Torotise.. Torotises need a basking light and a UVB light. The UVB light should be a T5 tube other types are bad and can hurt the tortoises eyes. There also cant be anything blocking the uv rays (Screen, plastic, etc.) For the water bowl use a large terracotta plant saucer. Also get plants to help maintain the humidity.

Gamtauru

Pottstown, Pa
Should the enclosure be made out of wood pvc plastic glass?
careful where the glass is. In most of my research, it says to avoid having the wall being see-through (for the tortoise. above their sight is better). They don't understand the glass and keep trying to get through

Gamtauru

Pottstown, Pa
I built a wooden one about 13 square ft (I am rounding down). I am in the same boat of which one to get (even after over a month of researching). I will need to build a bigger one when whatever type I get is older. I am going to a reptile show in my area tomorrow to see what Captive breeds are there.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My best advice to all here is stick it out here on the forum and keep reading. Having a tortoise is always going to be scary at least it is for me. It's a continual learning process even after years of having a tortoise. I think of TFO as a support group with all kinds of ideas from all kinds of people from all over the world. What could be better then that.?

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
I built a wooden one about 13 square ft (I am rounding down). I am in the same boat of which one to get (even after over a month of researching). I will need to build a bigger one when whatever type I get is older. I am going to a reptile show in my area tomorrow to see what Captive breeds are there.

Good luck in your tortoise search! Expo's can be really hit or miss for tortoises, but they are still fun!

If you do find something that you want, don't buy it immediately - go sit somewhere and look up reviews for that seller online. If it turns out to be a reseller or warehouse (they buy from different breeders and re-sell), there is more risk in purchasing from them. Read up about "hatchling failure syndrome." Sometimes hatchlings look healthy and do okay for a while, but then they pass away after someone else has bought them.

Marcus1990

North Port Florida
I live in Florida it gets very hot in the summer my temp app says it feels like 103 right now..can the tortoise be kept outside for like a couple hours and live inside 90 percent of the time? I see on the care sheet that it is recommended to keep them outside most of the time..how crucial is this.