First time tortoise owner

twoodsy2003

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Howell, Michigan USA
I just purchased my first tortoise. I have been researching and learning everything I can to make sure I am giving him everything he needs. I have been quite obsessed with him. I have had him for 2 weeks now and named him Cecil. I purchased him from a family whose son was out growing poor Cecil. He is a 4 year old Hermann tortoise. Its been a fun learning experience and would love to learn more tips and tidbits from this forum.

IMG_4737.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
..I meant to mention that I love the clips for the greens. What a good idea!

twoodsy2003

5 Year Member
Howell, Michigan USA
..I meant to mention that I love the clips for the greens. What a good idea!

Thanks, I have been reading many of the forums here and thanks for the informative website. I have been a bit obsessed in learning all I can to give him a healthy life. All tips are welcome. Cecil has been dragging his greens all over and then deciding to eat them after its completely filthy so I used magnets and the clips to try to keep his greens clean and fresh. My main concern right now is his pyramiding. I actually purchased him from a Craigslist add and when I first met him I thought to myself, what a cool, unique looking shell he has. Unknown to me at the time that it wasn't natural and that it was a result from dehydration and/or lack of calcium. I know the pyramiding is irreversible and I want to make sure that he doesn't continue to get worse. I have been giving him soaks and trying to keep his bedding moist. I recently purchased a cuttle bone and he has been eating it like candy. I read this morning not to give too much calcium because it may cause other minerals not to absorb properly. I'm getting confused and there is so much conflicting information out there. Now I don't know if I should allow him to devour it or limit it to him. Will he instinctively stop eating when he has had enough? Other than that he seems very happy. He is extremely active and eats very well. He seems to be very social because he will chase us around as we walk past him when we have him out exploring. He is quite the character. Thanks in advance for any information to help guide us in the right direction.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If he is helping himself to cuttlebone don't use any other supplement on his food. Just let him have the cuttlebone