First Time Tortoise Owner. How to Encourage Balanced Diet

Suzm

Location (City and/or State)
Austin texas
Good Afternoon from Central Texas,
I took over the care of a young leopard tortoise. I think Chompy was hatched around the beginning of March, making her about twelve weeks old. She is fluctuating between 45 and 50 grams. It is warming here (highs in the 90s, sometimes 100s and lows in the 70s); and humidity hovers between 60% and 70%. I keep her in a closed terrarium at night. I mist the substrate before putting her in and cover the topwith a piece of acrylic plastic. The humidity increases to about 80% to 90%, however, it drops over night since the seal isn't tight. Her terrarium has a burrow and water dish and a food bowl and some greenery for shelter.

During the day, I have been putting her in an enclosure that is about 10 x 6 feet. It has a burrow, a morning sunny spot under a rock, water dish and planted with cupheas, secretsea, ice plant, echevaria, dwaft grass, and asparagus fern. I wet it down in the AM to raise the humidity while she is soaking. I prepare a meal of chopped opuntia, ruellia/rose/basketflower blossums, other weeds or leaves as listed in tortoisetable, and zoo-med tortoise grassland pellets wetted down and mushed up, and tiny tiny sprinkle of calcium and vitamins every other day.

If I may, a few questions. I have attached photos of her outdoor pen, terrarium, and some photos of her.

Chompy-1- - 1.jpgChompy-1- - 2.jpgChompy-1- - 3.jpgChompy-1- - 4.jpgChompy-1- - 5.jpgChompy-1- - 6.jpg
1.Does Chompy look like she is beginning to pyramid?

2. I would like to keep her outside as much as possible. Her pen gets morning sun and afternoon shade. I've made a nice burrow and a sunning area. It gets hot here (90s to 100s) in the summer. Are there any changes/adjustments I can make to an outdoor pen to provide a more humid-micro climate? Right now focusing on wetting cypress mulch and making sure the burrow has some moisture. I've thought about putting a piece of acrylic plexiglass over part of the pen to keep in moisture. (I'm depending on the stick-on temperature and humidity readers for now but have ordered some better remote sensor ones. (Infrared temp readers are next to impossible to get now. I guess that is a COVID thing.)

3. Anything I can do to make her eat her daily meal? She ignores it in favor of the plants in her pen and I'm afraid she is not getting a balanced diet. I am now trying to sprout timothy grass and hopefully that will tempt her to eat more grass. Should I take the plants out of her pen?

Thank you Tortoise Forum!
Suzy

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

What a gorgeous girl Chompy is!

First, you said you're thinking of putting a piece of acrylic over the top of her outdoor pen. I don't think that's a good idea...the pen could suddenly turn into a sauna. Babies can overheat and die surprisingly easily that way.

To your questions. I don't see any pyramiding. Someone else with a better eye will come along and give their opinion, but to me she looks great!

She is too young to live outside full time. She still needs the climate control of an indoor closed chamber. She needs the temp maintained and the humidity above 80% all the time. It has been proven by members here that too much outdoor time stunts growth and contributes to pyramiding. She can go outside for a short time each day. Some of us use a general formula of 1 hour of access to sunshine per inch of tortoise. If she's 4 inches long, she could be outside for 4 hours.

Be glad that she is eating weeds! So often we hear of the flip side...torts only want grocery store food. The way to get her to eat other food is to cut food from the pen and mix in tiny diced pieces of the new food. Once she gets the taste of the new stuff, she will start eating it. The process can take a long time though...start with a very small amount of the new food, and slowly increase the amount.

I don't know if you have read this, but it's our brand new care sheet for leopards. It explains in more detail what I've said here.

Please read it, then come back with questions and we'll help you figure out what you may need. We're happy to explain why we recommend the things we do.

Reactions: Ink

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I don't see any pyramiding, but the weight is of concern. Should be steadily gaining. Living outside full time is hard on them and slows them tremendously.

Karen gave you great advice.

Suzm

Austin texas
I am working on making changes to have her in a more controlled indoor environment. Thanks for the helpful advice.