First time set up walk through, any help much appreciated!!

elliotmarie

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hi everyone! I have a few more questions about setting up for my little guy before I get him! The rescue in my area gives you info on how to start a home for them but I don’t think it’s stuff for them to actually thrive. These are super basic questions sorry!! I’m just wanting to make sure he will be healthy and happy, if you’re able to share pics of your buddies homes or any of how you set up that would be great!!

For the lights, it says a dual lamp that is one big lamp with two sides for two bulbs but I read they don’t like that. What would be good to replace it with and how is it best to set up? Would a long UV light be good for across his home and then have the heat lamp on one side?

He will have a half dome wood piece he can hide under and one big bowl for him to climb in in the corner and a food dish. What else would be good for him? If I got plastic plants would he munch?

Lastly I have the choice between 1+ year old Greek, Russian or hermann what would be the best choice?

Any and all advice is truly appreciated, I just want him to have the best home possible. Thank you all!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi everyone! I have a few more questions about setting up for my little guy before I get him! The rescue in my area gives you info on how to start a home for them but I don’t think it’s stuff for them to actually thrive. These are super basic questions sorry!! I’m just wanting to make sure he will be healthy and happy, if you’re able to share pics of your buddies homes or any of how you set up that would be great!!

For the lights, it says a dual lamp that is one big lamp with two sides for two bulbs but I read they don’t like that. What would be good to replace it with and how is it best to set up? Would a long UV light be good for across his home and then have the heat lamp on one side?

I don't like those dual fixtures because I want lights/heat at opposite ends of the enclosure. Now-a-days I'm quite fond of the tube type fluorescent UVB like this:

Fluorescent UVB light a.jpgT-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

You can usually buy the tube at a pet store, and the fixture at places like lightyourreptiles.com.

He will have a half dome wood piece he can hide under and one big bowl for him to climb in in the corner and a food dish. What else would be good for him? If I got plastic plants would he munch?

I like to have a couple hiding places, one at either end of the enclosure. And for water I use a plant saucer that I sink down into the substrate to make it easier for him to get into and out of. Some tortoises try to eat plastic plants, some don't.

Lastly I have the choice between 1+ year old Greek, Russian or hermann what would be the best choice?

Russians make very good first tortoises and are pretty forgiving of poor care while you're learning.

Any and all advice is truly appreciated, I just want him to have the best home possible. Thank you all!