First Time Red Footed Owner

RedMarquee

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hello!

First time tortoise owner here and I’ve recently bought a 7cm red footed tortoise. I've been reading and browsing a lot of stuff here and have been slowly learning how to take care of tortoise

Where I'm from the temperature is between 24-26 °C at night and daytime between 27-30 °C all year and humidity is always around 70-85%. That’s the reason why I choose RF as my first tortoise

Here’s a couple of pic of my tortoise. He looks okay to me but I’m not an expert so I’m not really sure (?)
WP_20170805_13_58_19_Pro.jpg WP_20170805_13_58_40_Pro.jpg
Here he/she is looking really ugly after devouring the poor cuttlebone
WP_20170805_13_59_01_Pro.jpg
And here’s the enclosure
WP_20170816_15_51_35_Pro.jpg
I don’t use UVB light cause where I come from there’s only the spiral type and I heard its bad but I always take him out in the morning for about 15m almost everyday

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome. He looks good to me. Just very young.
Sunlight will work. It's the very best source of UV. But remember that Redfoot don't like the heat and can overheat easily. 29 degrees Celcius is what you want. Not much hotter. (85 F)
You need to find a better water bowl. The size and shape are good, but that one is too smooth. It will be hard for the little guy to get in and out. A lot of us use a clay saucer like the ones that go under a flower pot.

RedMarquee

Indonesia
Welcome. He looks good to me. Just very young.
Sunlight will work. It's the very best source of UV. But remember that Redfoot don't like the heat and can overheat easily. 29 degrees Celcius is what you want. Not much hotter. (85 F)
You need to find a better water bowl. The size and shape are good, but that one is too smooth. It will be hard for the little guy to get in and out. A lot of us use a clay saucer like the ones that go under a flower pot.
Thanks. The seller said he's 1yo I guess he lied lol. Got it! its always around 24-25 in the morning so I hope he'll be fine. I use a white clay saucer sorry the photo a little bit blurry

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks. The seller said he's 1yo I guess he lied lol. Got it! its always around 24-25 in the morning so I hope he'll be fine. I use a white clay saucer sorry the photo a little bit blurry
It looked like he still has some egg tooth there in the first photo. It looks like I might have been mistaken because he is not that tiny.
;)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Looks okay to me.
Many use a rough piece of slate or sandstone for the tort to eat off as this may help keep the beak trimmed.
Others recommend not chopping up the food too fine so the natural tearing and chomping keeps the beak nice.

RedMarquee

Indonesia
Looks okay to me.
Many use a rough piece of slate or sandstone for the tort to eat off as this may help keep the beak trimmed.
Others recommend not chopping up the food too fine so the natural tearing and chomping keeps the beak nice.
Yup I try to feed him on a flat stone and just give him the whole greens without chopping it up but still soak the pellet and chopping the fruits and proteins. I never see the beak touch the stone when he eat tho. He always go for the food and try to bite without touching the ground. Sometimes he try to eat a stone like an idiot lol I guess that and cuttlebone will help

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yup I try to feed him on a flat stone and just give him the whole greens without chopping it up but still soak the pellet and chopping the fruits and proteins. I never see the beak touch the stone when he eat tho. He always go for the food and try to bite without touching the ground. Sometimes he try to eat a stone like an idiot lol I guess that and cuttlebone will help
Yup, that's fine. :)