First time owner. Rate my setup?

JaydenTheTort

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
so Yesterday I got two Russian tortoises, I read up as much about them but it's my first time taking care of tortoises, just want to make sure they're happy. This is a temporary set up there's two of them but the other isnt visible in the picture
I believe they're both female but the store said both male, either way I know I need to get them separate living spaces soon.20201228_200945.jpg

Attachments

• 20201228_200945.jpg
    20201228_200945.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
1 adult Russian tortoise needs @4'x8' enclosure...

You got some work to do.

JaydenTheTort

Pennsylvania

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Thanks! I'm pretty young (as in I dont provide for myself yet) so I'll talk with my mom about getting the right equipment for them! Thanks!
If you can, return the glass terrarium. Tortoise are quite different than fish and lizards.... read the care sheets on the forum and try to do a open top tortoise table if they are adult. Sorry hun, but your tortoise are not happy.. they will not thrive together in that enclosure.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks! I'm pretty young (as in I dont provide for myself yet) so I'll talk with my mom about getting the right equipment for them! Thanks!

Great. Just so you know, though, that aquarium is way too small for many reasons. It’s too small for one Russian, let alone two. Russians in pairs (like this in one small enclosure) is never a good idea. Torts & Russians in particular are very solitary & very aggressive to other torts entering their kingdom. You should look to replace your “hard to reach” (over priced) water dish with a plain old terracotta plant saucer (from the garden center in WalMart).

I’m not sure how you are providing heat at night?

Lastly, it appears that your terrarium is flat on the floor. Thats usually the coldest spot in a house, so it would be much better to place it up on a table.

Good luck. Ps - think about separating your two torts soonest.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

It's really a shame that you didn't find our Forum before getting the tortoises. Once the weather warms up, you can put them outside in a safe and secure outdoor area, but for now, this winter, you're going to need to get two big containers to set up two separate enclosures. See if you can find Christmas Tree Storage Bins by Iris. They're usually about $35 apiece, and while still not big enough for one tortoise, it will do in a pinch until warm weather. Here's a link to what they look like:

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
so Yesterday I got two Russian tortoises, I read up as much about them but it's my first time taking care of tortoises, just want to make sure they're happy. This is a temporary set up there's two of them but the other isnt visible in the picture
I believe they're both female but the store said both male, either way I know I need to get them separate living spaces soon.View attachment 314119
i bought an old bookcase and removed the shelves.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Yvonne. Wish had searched before getting.
If your parents won't pay to provide a proper home, heat and lighting then please rehome them until you are old enough to supply what is needed.