First time... NEED HELP PLS!

Tutow

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Hello. I am so glad I found this forum. I know nothing about Sulcatas. However, I put a deposit down on one but I’d like to tell you a little bit of what I know about this tort... I have a few concerns. He is 1 year old but only as long as my ring finger. Would you say that is concerning? Also. They told me that for a while, his eyes were shut and he barely moved or ate. They figured it could be the placement of the lamp. Not delivering the adequate amount of heat... they adjusted it and is now getting proper heat. His eyes are opening and is starting to eat. His eyes are watery and they use some kind of eye drops on it.

Based on this info on the tort, does it sound severe? Is his size and watery eyes a major concerned? I’m really worried and not sure if I’m making a good decision bringing him home. He also seems a bit darker than the ones I’ve seen online and looks like his skin is flaking.

Here is the most recent pic of him eating.

125E59F2-0D38-42E3-B324-6DA964B80177.jpeg51C8F6C2-BC0A-458C-BEB7-E8A60C6D6E69.jpeg8417CBBC-0CBB-45CF-9AB1-5BA62B936C46.png

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Hard to say. But why chance it? When u can get a healthy tort and prob for less money

Tutow

Las Vegas
Hard to say. But why chance it? When u can get a healthy tort and prob for less money
I live in Las Vegas I have been calling around. Hard to find one that’s a year old. The ones I’ve called is pretty pricey for a baby. I’m scared to get a baby one because I feel they are more fragile and I’m scared I might not know how to properly raise a baby one. I’m getting this little tort for $100. But I just want to make sure he’s in the right direction to recovery.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I live in Las Vegas I have been calling around. Hard to find one that’s a year old. The ones I’ve called is pretty pricey for a baby. I’m scared to get a baby one because I feel they are more fragile and I’m scared I might not know how to properly raise a baby one. I’m getting this little tort for $100. But I just want to make sure he’s in the right direction to recovery.
standby... Hold for @Tom please

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Start reading this thoroughly

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very few people in the whole country start this species correctly. This one you are looking at is no exception. If you feel bad and want to rescue this one, then go for it. Damage has been done, but there is no way to really tell how bad it is.

You should buy from a breeder that starts them correctly. They usually sell for around $50-60 from a good breeder and then you pay for overnight shipping.

If you want an older one, check with @Lancecham He often has older ones for sale, but his will be healthy and well hydrated.

If you want a baby, I will have Sudan Sulcatas hatching in August.

Here is the correct care info:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You said you know nothing about sulcatas...do you know they grow to 100+ lbs? Do you know that they require a very large outdoor space when grown? Do you know that they are backyard bulldozers, who will trample all plants that they don't eat? Will move lawn furniture all over the place? Will break off lawn sprinkler systems?

You don't need to answer these questions...just to yourself. You need to understand what you're getting into.

Whatever you decide, they are also delightful, fun, and a unique experience. :D

Tutow

Las Vegas
You said you know nothing about sulcatas...do you know they grow to 100+ lbs? Do you know that they require a very large outdoor space when grown? Do you know that they are backyard bulldozers, who will trample all plants that they don't eat? Will move lawn furniture all over the place? Will break off lawn sprinkler systems?

You don't need to answer these questions...just to yourself. You need to understand what you're getting into.

I am fully aware and am excited for the adventure. However, I might need more time to think about it considering the financial aspect. Any recommendations for the next best thing? One that will be good with kids?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Leopard tortoises get to be a good size, but nothing like sulcatas. They are more expensive to buy, however.

Have you considered a desert tortoise? They get about 14 inches, are personable, and you could adopt one from the state, possibly for free. You could probably request any size you wanted, but not a hatchling. There are literally thousands of them desperately needing homes. They are endangered in their 3 native states...CA, NV, and AZ. They aren't big enough to knock little kids down or hurt them if they step on their toes. There are many, many desert tort keepers in the Las Vegas area. This is where you would start the process:

Reactions: Ink

Tutow

Las Vegas
Leopard tortoises get to be a good size, but nothing like sulcatas. They are more expensive to buy, however.

Have you considered a desert tortoise? They get about 14 inches, are personable, and you could adopt one from the state, possibly for free. You could probably request any size you wanted, but not a hatchling. There are literally thousands of them desperately needing homes. They are endangered in their 3 native states...CA, NV, and AZ. They aren't big enough to knock little kids down or hurt them if they step on their toes. There are many, many desert tort keepers in the Las Vegas area. This is where you would start the process:

I will look into it. Thank you!

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I’m in vegas too. Is it just a pet store?
I adopted a 5 yr old Sulcata almost 3 years ago for $150 (think it was community paws, the adoption agency or whatever. After finding this forum I decided that I would much rather have a tortoise thats a few years old because of your exact reasons, hatchlings take a LOT of care. Which is also great for kids to learn daily consistent care. Also they get to see their care pay off when they see the rapid growth! And then see it for the next 80 years ? maybe try another species or wait for toms hatchlings! I just adopted and 18yr water turtle and I’m obsessed, he is so active and interesting. Good luck!

Relic

Here

Honestly, I would love to see a thread devoted solely to photos of damage sulcattas have done. I think it would be hilarious on one hand, and instructive to prospective owners on the other. I imagine a fairly large percentage of folks who acquire a hatchling sully have no idea what lies ahead...much like marriage.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I would run away as fast as you can from that tortoise, I have been through that heartache five times, the moment you see signs like closed eyes it’s almost always to late. My opinions get a healthy hatchling from a reputable breeder who raises it in a humid environment from the beginning, because a unhealthy hatchling is unbelievably hard to ‘cure’