First Time Home Made Vivarium for my 5 Month old Leopard Guru Feedback?

GurusCompanion

Hey everyone,

I am a first time companion and best friend to an amazing Leopard tortoise. His name is Guru. I live in Boston for now, and fortunately due to my career and my youth I can relocate fairly easily and am saving to up and leave to the San Diego area within the coming year. But for the moment we have to deal with undesirable weather conditions and so I have created a living eco-system for little Guru.

The actual enclosure is 6ftx2ftx2ft. The bottom of the home is organic untreated unfertilized soil, planted with organic blue grass, some areas are sprouting mustard greens, kale, arugula, violas, and echinacea.

I have sort of created a two sided habitat:

On the left we have the basking side, more of a desert decorated area, with a hollowed log with sphagnum moss, a spider plant which he loves hiding and sleeping under, some taller jade succulent plants which he'll occasionally nibble on, a himalayan salt lamp to help purify the negative ions from the lamps and some wheat grass and a cluster of smaller jade plants and a larger succulent that sprouted a flower. This side has his basking light as well as the custom made "fogger" from a humidifier and vinyl piping. The day time temps range from 90-97 and humidity I try to keep 70-85%. His nighttime temps are around 75-80 and humidity around the same.

On the right we have a lush rainforest tropical oasis area, this includes a larger spider plant which he loves hiding under as well, sphagnum moss strewn throughout, a mound of wheatgrass, a log, a prayer plant, a terracotta dish refilled daily with pure filtered water, a slate rock which I feed (adding D3 and calcium), some fun rocks, a coconut, a non toxic money tree (even though confirmed non toxic it is completely out of his reach and just filters air and adds to scenery for him and filters shade) The Temps are slightly cooler by a 1 or 2 degrees over here but a tad bit more humid. This side features two spot lamps with plant lights which he loves and the plants love as well.

The enclosure has a 3 foot strip fluorescent bulb mounted to the ceiling more on the left side providing light and vitamin d3 but I still give him supplements as there is no way he is getting his required amounts from this light.

The front of the enclosure is two sliding plexiglass doors, there are 3 larger ventilation holes in the enclosure and I frequently open the doors to refresh the air.

I know that my climate is not the most ideal for this wonderful amazing creature, but I would love to hear any feedback. I have been reading all of these posts and read a few books!

I bathe him daily as well and try to give hime a varied diet.

Thank you all :)

-Jeffrey

image1 (4).JPG

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello ! Welcome to the forum! Your enclosure is lovely ! & well thought out! Guru must be very happy! I dont have any knowledge on leopard tortoises; I have 2 russians but someone will be able to let you know if theres any improvement needed :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've done a nice job on the enclosure. Just remember to keep him hydrated and in a humid environment, and it should be ok.

NDevon

North Devon, UK
You've put a lot of effort into making him a really great home. It's hard not being able to give hem the space outside at we would all love to provide, but at lease you are making the effort to give him a good home indoors. You clearly care a lot about him :)

One little suggestion if I may, those analogue dial thermometers / hygrometers are really not very accurate. If and when you can afford to maybe invest in digital meters, you can get them seperately or as a combined device, I don't know how much over there but in the UK I would have thought $20 would be for more expensive ones. Just good to have reliable readings, it may be that you have digital ones we just can't see in the pictures, if so my apologies :)

GurusCompanion

You've put a lot of effort into making him a really great home. It's hard not being able to give hem the space outside at we would all love to provide, but at lease you are making the effort to give him a good home indoors. You clearly care a lot about him :)

One little suggestion if I may, those analogue dial thermometers / hygrometers are really not very accurate. If and when you can afford to maybe invest in digital meters, you can get them seperately or as a combined device, I don't know how much over there but in the UK I would have thought $20 would be for more expensive ones. Just good to have reliable readings, it may be that you have digital ones we just can't see in the pictures, if so my apologies :)

Thank you absolutely will be working on finding one and thank you for the tip!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Just wanted to make sure you know that bathing him daily is not enough to prevent pyramiding. A humidity of 80% is needed inside the enclosure.
Sorry if you covered this in your thread. I don't have time to read the whole thing before my phone dies.
Also, the enclosure looks great.

GurusCompanion

Hello and Welcome. Just wanted to make sure you know that bathing him daily is not enough to prevent pyramiding. A humidity of 80% is needed inside the enclosure.
Sorry if you covered this in your thread. I don't have time to read the whole thing before my phone dies.
Also, the enclosure looks great.
Yes thank you! His humidity is at 80%!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Yes its perfect :) it works well, do you have a red foot? I am wondering if I can rescue one from a local pet store and have him live with Guru?

yeah i have a redfoot and pair's aren't advised only causes trouble. also if you were to get another red you'd wanna wait 6month's to a year to quarantine the new one to make sure it's not bringing in any diseases to your current one

GurusCompanion

yeah i have a redfoot and pair's aren't advised only causes trouble. also if you were to get another red you'd wanna wait 6month's to a year to quarantine the new one to make sure it's not bringing in any diseases to your current one
There's this terrible local pet store and a beautiful redfoot is trapped in a tiny cage! He looked like he was crying..I just wanted to rescue him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes its perfect :) it works well, do you have a red foot? I am wondering if I can rescue one from a local pet store and have him live with Guru?

You'll need a separate enclosure. Care requirements and diet are very different for these species, and species should never be mixed due to disease potential and behavioral incompatibility.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
There's this terrible local pet store and a beautiful redfoot is trapped in a tiny cage! He looked like he was crying..I just wanted to rescue him

so i didn't even notice you already had a leopard i thought it was a redfoot my bad. but you shouldn't mix species i agree with tom completely if you set up another enclosure and outdoor enclosure go for it but the two different species shouldn't live together

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Belated welcome from Texas to you and Guru! Your enclosure looks great, Guru is a cutie! I have redfooted and cherryhead, both around 10 months old.