First time closed chamber for redfoot

CBegin84

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I’m looking for any suggestions on my setup as this is my first time. Also ideas of where to place heating ceramic, uvb bulb, uvb light... etc also how many I should have of each and best way to create micro climates(cool/hot spots) He/she is 3.5 inches approx
Temp range is85-90 humidity 80-92

Enclosure is 48”Lx24”w36”H

TIAIMG_1105.jpgIMG_1106.jpgIMG_1109.jpgIMG_1107.jpgIMG_1111.jpg

Last edited:

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
It looks great. My only suggestion is a bunch of large plants to create a big shaded darker area. Redfoots love that. You can use fake plants to do this.

Also make sure the substrate is moist. Redfoots need high humidity.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Just saw your humidity readings. Looks good. Don’t want too wet of substrate bc they are prone to shell rot.
I love how cool and spooky foggers make an enclosure look.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a pretty nice little greenhouse/tortoise enclosure. I like it!

As to the placement of the light/heat, I would put the UVB bulb in the middle and the CHE on one end. If your UVB light is a fluorescent tube that doesn't give off very much heat, then you would also need some heat on the other end too. You want the temperature to be overall 80-85F with no hot side/cool side.

Oh, and: WELCOME to the Forum!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Those little greenhouses make nice enclosures. Our local Lidl store had many similar products on sale. Good prices.

Although i personslly don’t own Redfoots, it just SEEMS like the substrste is too dry? I’ll defer to others, just looks too dry.

Anyhow..good luck. Add some pothos to grow and climb...and more spider plants. Looks good.

CBegin84

Pennsylvania
I had just mixed 50/50 top soil/coco fiber in photo and thought that moisture would hold but noticed it hasn’t and am misting/mixing to keep substrate moist.

Ravyna

Florida
I know this is months later - but is this a mini greenhouse? I found something similar on target's website and one even bigger on wayfair and target. but it looks to be a different material/plastic.
Any issues with the heat and odor off the warm plastic? I saw the prop65 warning on at least one of them and it makes me nervous. My baby is so small.
I'm loving this idea, though