First thread !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey guys, who has hingebacks? Who breeds them? Who wants them?

Any one have a picture of a hatchling forest hingeback?

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I'd sure like learn more about them. Wish I could keep them but I don't think they would do well in the very hot and dry conditions here in the AZ desert.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i think i got at least a couple requests for this forum. i know there are a few folks who have plenty to add here...;P

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have the Bells and the Homes hingebacks. Would like to get more and some of the other varieties of Hinges too. Have only raised and hatched the Bells so far. My young trio of Homes includes one that came to me weighing about as much as a feather. It's been very slow to get weight back on him, but he is getting there. Some days it feels like it will be 10 years before I can get him to a nice healthy weight.:rolleyes:

Might be a good place to remind folks if you hear of any Hinges for sale/adoption let me know. Not only for myself, but a wonderful Hingeback breeder is searching for an elusive female Erosa breeding age for his three lonely males.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Not sure how your keeping the Home's Jacqui, but I found they did best alone. I only introduced them for breeding and only left them together for a couple of days.

Danny

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Seems to be the case with the Homes that they do indeed do better kept singularly, in pairs or no more than three together. I have one alone and then two together. So far the two do well together for me. They are all three still youngsters, so things are really open for change as they mature.

As usual they are very shy animals. Took a bit of time for them to just get to the point where they come out when I am around them giving everybody food. I still feed them near their hide logs, which seems to give them more security for relaxing to eat.

As for the Bells, I have heard some folks have trouble keeping them together also, so only introduce the male for breeding times. Yet others successfully keep pairs and trios. I never had that problem in the past and am curiously looking forward to seeing what happens with isolation times are up.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I think you'll find the Home's will settle in very quick being alone. With mine alone and with no lights on them. They settled in and even begged for food at feeding time. They always ate in front of me. I think the low light conditions helped too. they just recieved ambient room light.

Danny

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Mine do eat in front of me, but I still think they like knowing they are near their hides. Like I tried to convey and guess I failed at, is the two together come out and start "requesting" food once they see me working/feeding around them. Took some time and patience for that to happen.

Actually with mine the two together are the more out going ones, the one kept by himself is the shy one. Have actually saw no change in his shyness from being with the other two. Maybe mine are like me...a little abnormal...:D .

Yes, the no lights is very important and where many make mistakes. Tends to go against everything we teach about tort husbandry.

Status
Not open for further replies.