First Post

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
Hello,

My name is Justin I just got a Sulcata yesterday. His name is Bowser and he was just born on Jan 20th. He seems to be starting off well. He is 2 1/4" and weighs about 50 grams. So far he's eating like a champ and he is very active. He was shy for the first few hours until he adjusted to his new home. Right now I'm using moistened coconut coir as a substrate. I'm feeding him cactus pads, kale, spring mix, and I'm mixing in bermuda grass and orchard grass hays to try to get his grassy diet started early. I'm also supplementing with Rep-Cal As a hide i have the common half log with some sphagnum moss underneath and another pile of moistened sphagnum moss in the enclosure as a hide as well. I have a 160 watt mercury vapor lamp as well as a 10.0 fluorescent uv b lamp. I also have a 75 watt red light incandescent bulb to keep the temperature at about 77 at night. during the day time the temperature gradient is about 93-74 with a basking area around 98. Is there anything else I should be providing or is this a good set up? I got most of my information from this site and it's been a huge help so thank you everyone who has shared what they know.

Attachments

• IMG_20140202_153247_200.jpg
    IMG_20140202_153247_200.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I would bump those temps up to no lower then 80. Hot and humid is what you want. Cold and damp makes a sick tort.

muu

Hiya, I'm pretty new here too. I've found this forum extremely helpful. Everyone is so friendly too.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Is the 10.0 florescent UVB a compact screw in type or long tube type? Compact florescents (screw in type) are known to cause damage to eyes. If it is compact type, I would remove it at once. If your Mercury Vapor bulb produces UVB you don't need any additional UVB. If not, zoomed T5HO long tube is a good choice with solid UVB ouput.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
mikeh said:
Is the 10.0 florescent UVB a compact screw in type or long tube type? Compact florescents (screw in type) are known to cause damage to eyes. If it is compact type, I would remove it at once. If your Mercury Vapor bulb produces UVB you don't need any additional UVB. If not, zoomed T5HO long tube is a good choice with solid UVB ouput.

It's the long tube type

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
Does anyone have any recommendation on how to bump the temps up about 5 degrees? Right now like I said before I have a 160 watt mercury vapor UVA/B lamp that i am using as the uv/heat lamp and a heating pad and I have a red incandescent lamp for night time to keep temperatures comfortable. How else can i raise the temperature?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Justin:

Welcome to the Forum!!

To raise the temperature in the habitat, lower the light just a little. You can also try partially covering the habitat.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
Thanks for the tip. Is it bad to have too much UV light? I am use a mvb that gives off uva/b and I have a uvb fluorescent bulb. Also, any tips on converting diet to grass hay?