First Post Newbie - I ordered online

ILykeTortoises

Location (City and/or State)
NC
Hey all,

I have been reading a lot around here these days and the information is amazing. Thanks to everyone for that.

I did some research online to find what I thought to be a reputable Sully merchant. After discussing with the wife one last time, I placed an order for a hatchling tort. I requested one female, knowing that sexing is not always guaranteed.

A few days later, on time as per the seller, my new baby arrived. However, I got a big surprise when I opened my package to find two male tortoises inside. To be fair, they arrived in great condition. They have been eating well. They are active, using their water source appropriately, and defecating apparently normally.

As adorable as they are (I named them Statler and Waldorf), I was a bit upset with the seller seemingly unloading an extra animal on me. My wife and I agreed to commit to one lifelong animal, not two.

I debated calling or emailing the seller and decided against it. I was worried that they would try to charge me after the fact if it was a true error. I was also concerned they would ask me to ship it back, which I am not comfortable with, nor do I have the license to do so. I ultimately decided it wouldn't be a safe place to send it back to if they are just dealing out $100 animals for free.

Luckily, my initial enclosure is big enough for both of them and they are doing well. I am planning on constructing something larger this weekend to make more ideal conditions for the odd couple.

I spent most of a day calling around to pet stores and science centers trying to find out if one of these cuties would be desirable. I got shut down left and right. I finally called my local reptile rescue. Being that this isn't a true rescue situation, they actually recommended that I keep them both being that I have done my research and they might end up in a worse situation.

My question is, what would you do? Have you been in a similar situation? Should I report the seller somehow?

Attachments

• IMG_20211102_185129_359.jpg
    IMG_20211102_185129_359.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20211102_185129_423.jpg
    IMG_20211102_185129_423.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 61

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Welcome!

How strange, them sending you two. Who was the seller? Where did you buy it?

The bad news is that they'd need to be housed separately. Here's the care sheet:

They also not sexable until they are about 14-16" in length.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I've been keeping sulcatas for over 25 years and from my experiences 2 will never work. No matter what age they are. 3 or more may be fine until they reach sexual maturity. One sulcata is the best way to go. I have 5 sulcatas now and they all live separately in their own areas.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with everyone above. Unless you have the space to house them in their own enclosures then you need to rehome one or send it back on the sellers dime.
It may have been an honest mistake and someone else that ordered two only got one.
I would call the seller. You don't need a license to ship in the US that I know of.
They will need to be seperate within a short period.
If you have room for two, keep them.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Whenever I received extra items in the past, I tried to return the extra, but never with an animal. Assuming it was a mistake, I think the fact that it happened would push me to not contact them or try to return it.

I'd set up another enclosure and keep it for a bit. Nothing says you have to keep it forever.

I debated calling or emailing the seller and decided against it. I was worried that they would try to charge me after the fact if it was a true error. I was also concerned they would ask me to ship it back, which I am not comfortable with, nor do I have the license to do so. I ultimately decided it wouldn't be a safe place to send it back to if they are just dealing out $100 animals for free.

If you do contact them, keep in mind that you only agreed to pay for 1 tortoise and they can't charge you for anything else. It's not your responsibility to 'make right' their mistake. If you wanted to give them the opportunity to reclaim one of the tortoises, I'd give them a small window to pick it up - you're not under any obligation to ship it back. And if you did agree to ship it back, you don't have to pay for any amount of the shipping.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
i have recently seen some sellers doing a buy one get one free type thing. i cant say for sure but that could be what happened. some sellers raised the prices and did that type of sale which should NEVER be done unless you get more then 2 imo.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you don't have the wherewithall to keep them both in separate enclosures, advertise the odd man out for sale. That way you got the keeper for free. Don't involve the vendor.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all,

I have been reading a lot around here these days and the information is amazing. Thanks to everyone for that.

I did some research online to find what I thought to be a reputable Sully merchant. After discussing with the wife one last time, I placed an order for a hatchling tort. I requested one female, knowing that sexing is not always guaranteed.

A few days later, on time as per the seller, my new baby arrived. However, I got a big surprise when I opened my package to find two male tortoises inside. To be fair, they arrived in great condition. They have been eating well. They are active, using their water source appropriately, and defecating apparently normally.

As adorable as they are (I named them Statler and Waldorf), I was a bit upset with the seller seemingly unloading an extra animal on me. My wife and I agreed to commit to one lifelong animal, not two.

Luckily, my initial enclosure is big enough for both of them and they are doing well. I am planning on constructing something larger this weekend to make more ideal conditions for the odd couple.

I spent most of a day calling around to pet stores and science centers trying to find out if one of these cuties would be desirable. I got shut down left and right. I finally called my local reptile rescue. Being that this isn't a true rescue situation, they actually recommended that I keep them both being that I have done my research and they might end up in a worse situation.

My question is, what would you do? Have you been in a similar situation? Should I report the seller somehow?
Before I looked at the pics, I had already decided that you bought from the wrong source. Two reasons: 1. You can't tell the sex until they are around 14" and sometimes not until 16-17". To sell someone sexed babies is just dishonest, unless we are talking about expensive high end stuff that has been surgically sexed. Reason #2. They should never live in pairs. Anyone selling you a pair is not doing you or the tortoises any favors, unless they knew upfront that you were housing them separately, or adding them to an existing group after quarantine.

After looking at the pics, my suspicions were confirmed. These tortoises were started much too dry. They look like they have been housed outside all day, or inside on dry substrate.

If you follow the care sheet linked by TeamZissou, you will give them their best chance at survival.

Questions about any of this are welcome. We are here to help you and your tortoises. I'm sorry if this info is a bummer, but you can't fix it if you don't know it is broke.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
totally agree with tom on this. for some reason i could not see the pics when i posted. these 2 were started much to dry now that i can see them. def follow the care sheet from here and you will get them headed on the right track

Quixx66

Louisiana
I ordered one male betta, prepared to set him up in a 10 gallon heated and cycled aquarium by himself, and I received him and 10 ‘bonus’ females. The seller was lackadaisical about it, just another breeder offloading extra stock. He told me to just dump the females in the 10 gallon for a sorority and put the male elsewhere. That defeated my purpose for the male, and at least one female bullied the others.

I had to run to the nearest Walmart to get tiny fishbowls for each of the 10 females to keep them from fighting. Each of them had to be changed daily (the reason why I got the 10 gallon, to avoid all that). Thankfully, two grandmothers of kids in my classes took them off my hands to give to all their grandkids and the male got his 10 gallon.

That ‘bonus’ was a pain in the butt and unfair to me. I never bought from him again, but I think he was trying to get rid of his stock.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hey all,

Hello and welcome to the forum ? I've been watching this thread and wondering how you are doing with your situation. I made the mistake of buying from an online seller also but decided not to send him back because I figured...he would be better off with me then to send him back to them. I've had him 14 years. Later I wound up with a rescue box turtle that I really didn't want but I went ahead and took care of her until I could find her a good home. She taught me a lot though.? When I did finally manage to re-home her it turned out to be a special blessing to a young teenage girl. Her parents were tortoise people also and could help both of them. I felt really good about it. If you tell the name of the seller here on TFO it will at least be a start for reporting it. No one should ever just dump that type of animal or any animal for that matter on someone. That's so disrespectful of you and the animals they are making money from. It reminds me of puppy mills or someone that dumps kittens out in the countryside.