First New Enclosure Build - UV lighting Advice Needed Please

Kelly.324

Location (City and/or State)
Durham UK
I like to run the stronger HO bulb for 3-4 hours mid day to simulate the strong mid day UV spike that happens outside. I think Mark said he prefers 5 hours in a previous post here. Since you are mounting this at the right height and only using it for part of each day, the shorter bulbs should be fine.

This may be a really stupid question but what sort of fitting/control thing do I need for this? I can’t seem to order a kit online in the UK.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Sorry, ignore me, it was a stupid question, I’ve found a kit to order![emoji4]

Reactions: Tom

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Just a little thread bump, hope someone can just make sure I’m on the right track with the light I’m planning on ordering :)

Thanks

Wright78

North Attleboro MA
Just a little thread bump, hope someone can just make sure I’m on the right track with the light I’m planning on ordering :)

Thanks

I use the Arcadia 12% the length is based on what room you have in the enclosure. I would use the longest you can fit. I used 2 because I had a 8 ft long enclosure.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

Thanks
Those are good fixtures and bulbs. Choosing the 6% or 12% is dependent upon how much height you have available to mount the fixture. If you have to mount the fixture with less than 16" of height from tortoise to bulb, then go with the 6%. IF you have 16" or more, go with the 12%. I prefer the 12% at a higher height as it gives a broader effective UVB zone for basking. As you get to lower placements, it really narrows the effective area.

The length of the fixture totally depends upon the size of your enclosure and orientation within your enclosure. Any of the sizes will work well. Just be sure the UVB fixture is mounted next to the basking heat bulb so you are creating a basking area providing both heat and UVB in the same location.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Those are good fixtures and bulbs. Choosing the 6% or 12% is dependent upon how much height you have available to mount the fixture. If you have to mount the fixture with less than 16" of height from tortoise to bulb, then go with the 6%. IF you have 16" or more, go with the 12%. I prefer the 12% at a higher height as it gives a broader effective UVB zone for basking. As you get to lower placements, it really narrows the effective area.

The length of the fixture totally depends upon the size of your enclosure and orientation within your enclosure. Any of the sizes will work well. Just be sure the UVB fixture is mounted next to the basking heat bulb so you are creating a basking area providing both heat and UVB in the same location.

Brilliant, thank you :)
And can that be mounted on the side or should it be mounted directly above the table?

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Here is just 1 idea. Better to build it out of plywood sheeting. 8x4 and customize to your species needs.

Attachments

• 39740ea33181f4c1dc1a93487e42fd51.jpg
    39740ea33181f4c1dc1a93487e42fd51.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 14