First hibernation

Big Ol Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
pflugerville Tx
Hello everybody! I'm wanting to hibernate my box turtles this year. The only problem is I've never hibernated them before. I'd like to know some pointers and a type of soil that is safe for my box turtles. Here's a pic of them temporary.jpg
temporary.jpg

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I would make sure they have lived outside for a few months to acclimate. Fatten them up as much as they will eat before they stop for the winter. They need to be off food for a couple weeks before the hibernate.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
I would make sure they have lived outside for a few months to acclimate. Fatten them up as much as they will eat before they stop for the winter. They need to be off food for a couple weeks before the hibernate.

They've been outside since June. I've been feeding them lots of worms as well.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
That is good, find a place where you canloosen the dirt down a couple of feet. That will be where they likely will hibernate.
So I've been feeding them a lot but the male box turtle still feels light. Should I leave him outside? Or keep him outside and keep feeding him? It's gonna be in the 30s tomorrow for a few hours.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
IDK. They will stop eating to prepare for hibernation, so if his body is getting ready, he won't eat. If you are worried, keep him inside all winter.