First hatchling of the year

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
This summer I was lucky enough to add 3 new female Russian tortoises to our home. I was very surprised when all 3 of them decided to start laying clutches so soon, I had figured it would take them some adjusting first.

Unfortunately all of the eggs seemed to be unfertile until big Bertha decided to lay one. IMG_0340.JPGHer egg seemed to be the only one that was fertile and had a chance of hatching. About 6 weeks in to incubation we had a few major power outages that of course occurred on the coldest weekend here in Texas. After doing my best trying to keep the temp from dropping I was sure the egg would not make it, but decided to leave it in just in case.

Then this morning to my surprise after about 9 weeks of incubation I found this surprise...IMG_0782.JPGit may be hard to see in the picture, but we have a pip in the shell! I can't wait to see how this little hatchling turns out.

yillt

This summer I was lucky enough to add 3 new female Russian tortoises to our home. I was very surprised when all 3 of them decided to start laying clutches so soon, I had figured it would take them some adjusting first.

Unfortunately all of the eggs seemed to be unfertile until big Bertha decided to lay one. View attachment 198384Her egg seemed to be the only one that was fertile and had a chance of hatching. About 6 weeks in to incubation we had a few major power outages that of course occurred on the coldest weekend here in Texas. After doing my best trying to keep the temp from dropping I was sure the egg would not make it, but decided to leave it in just in case.

Then this morning to my surprise after about 9 weeks of incubation I found this surprise...View attachment 198386it may be hard to see in the picture, but we have a pip in the shell! I can't wait to see how this little hatchling turns out.
So exciting. Update us during the hatch and add pictures as soon as the baby is born. :) You must be some excited.

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
IMG_0789.JPG IMG_0790.JPG Here are some pictures of him. He was completely out of his egg his morning. Weighed in at 19g. Seems healthy and has no shell deformities even with some power outage temp fluctuations. His shell color is a lot darker than my other hatchlings from my other female.