First DNA samples taken from wild pancake tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Fantastic. I posted this earlier. I had no idea you were on this forum. Such a great endeavor. I am curious as to what sort of data are you scientifically spearheading for. I know a lot of studies have been done on haplotype or phylogenics of leopards, psammobates, and kinixys in Africa. But how does one do this sort of research and signify the results. Is there some sort of constant or comparative stable sample to go against? This stuff is great. I was glad to read this article earlier.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
woah! you are so lucky to be there with those pancake torts! Good luck with further research!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

Ann from CT

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Thanks for the comments and questions. I'm definfitely lucky to have gotten involved with the species, and there's some interesting research questions to be asked. We'll essentially be looking at gene flow rates at a local level, and population relationships at the full species distribution level. So we're collecting spatial genetic data and analyzing them to answer ecological, biogeographic, and evolutionary questions about the species. We'll also be working with local villagers to promote and implement conservation programs that enhance the protection of pancake tortoises and their habitat at important and/or vulnerable localities or populations.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
All the science stuff aside, it must be cool to get to hunt for tortoises for a living!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Will this info gathered be used to help determine the introduction of DNA from groups separated by distances to help determine the recolonization of areas cleared by over collection? Sorry, I didn't read the article. Possibly also used to determine the local of animals exported that may be of questionable origins?

Ok. I Read the article.I see my first question answered. I look forward to further information and conclusions drawn by your work. On behalf of all of us working with wonderful and unique specie, thank you for your personal commitment and the hardships some of these trips must bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.