First day home

michaelamaelae

Location (City and/or State)
Centerville, IN
Hey,
So I just got my baby sulcata yesterday, I know that I am suppose to leave them be for the first 24 hours but if I soak it will that affect the 24 hours thing or will it be okay. Thanks in advance

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Yes it will be fine to soak within the 1st 24 hours of bringing it home. Just be aware that babies tend to want to burrow and hide a lot in the beginning. They are programed to do this as they are easy prey in the wild when they are this young. Check out the care sheet I have linked below and use it as a guide to help raise a healthy tortoise. Good luck.

michaelamaelae

Centerville, IN
Yes it will be fine to soak within the 1st 24 hours of bringing it home. Just be aware that babies tend to want to burrow and hide a lot in the beginning. They are programed to do this as they are easy prey in the wild when they are this young. Check out the care sheet I have linked below and use it as a guide to help raise a healthy tortoise. Good luck.

Thank you

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey,
So I just got my baby sulcata yesterday, I know that I am suppose to leave them be for the first 24 hours but if I soak it will that affect the 24 hours thing or will it be okay. Thanks in advance

Ive never heard of this “24 hour” rule..... absolutely SOAK your baby in nice warm shallow water daily.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know where you read that or what kind of advice he gave. He should have made a distinction re' the situation. It is a good idea to not pick up, hold, play with your new baby for several days so he can get used to his new home.

But this does not include caring for him. Routine care should always be done, and soaking is routine care.