First Clutch

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston TX
photo 4 2014.JPG Well after 4 yrs of waiting My big female BUBBA 11" SCL has finally laid her first clutch ,
Dug up 6 eggs this morning & put them in the incubator . Why can't they lay in the spring & give the eggs a chance to hatch Naturally?
I'm excited .:):D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bubba, huh? Very feminine!

How exciting for you. Did the female actually dig and bury the eggs? My YFs never do. They just scrape away a bit of leaf litter and deposit all the eggs in a clump on top of the ground.

So what are your plans for the babies? Do you think you'll keep any?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Mine are laying now, different than most people reporting when their cherries tend to lay. We did find a feral baby this year, first since we move into our current house. I was worried about lost clutches, but over the last six or seven years we would always find a few feral ones per year. We have been here for three years and this is the first we have found. We are in a more rural area, so raccoons, possums, crows, herons, pretty much anything else may have been finding them before us. Thankfully, the pests haven't dug up any nests.

Congrats! Now comes the hardest part...waiting for them to hatch!

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Bubba, huh? Very feminine!

How exciting for you. Did the female actually dig and bury the eggs? My YFs never do. They just scrape away a bit of leaf litter and deposit all the eggs in a clump on top of the ground.

So what are your plans for the babies? Do you think you'll keep any?
Well Yvonne when I first got her I was told she was a male LOL . She actually did dig a hole & buried them really well , If it wasn't for my wife spotting her unusual behavior I probably wouldn't have even seen the nest .She was very good at covering the sight when finished

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
& YES I will probably keep a couple of them & sell the rest . I have a couple of exotic pet shops wanting captive born redfoots