Fire in tortoise room

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I haven't been feeling very well, so today I laid down for a nap. About an hour later I started smelling smoke. My neighbors have been bbq-ing a lot lately, so I just figured it was them. The smell got stronger and stronger, so I finally got up and closed all my windows. Many of my tortoises were already outside since the weather has been so nice, so I went to bring in my Hermann's hatchlings, and I noticed it didn't smell smoky outside - which I thought was weird but then I've been a little slow lately! :rolleyes: When I opened the tortoise room door - smoke hit me in the face! The whole room was full of smoke - one of the electrical cords from the lights was smoldering and a piece of wood I was using to keep the lamp anchored to was on fire. I seriously panicked and ran around like an idiot. I put the fire on the wood out, unplugged everything, got the window open and turned on the ceiling fan. Then I started grabbing everyone I could. It was so thick and horrible in there! I was wearing a full skirt, so I lifted it up and threw all my babies is there, ran out and dumped them on the lawn. I just kept running back and forth doing this until I got everyone out. In the meantime I was choking and gagging from all the acrid smoke. I couldn't even breathe - I can't imagine how awful it was for the poor tortoises. :( By the time I finished I went into a full blown asthma attack and had to go the hospital for a breathing treatment. Losing everyone like that is my worst fear! What a bad day, but we all survived thank God!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Thank goodness you got to them when you did!!
Hope you are feeling better....and your bebies are ok too!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG I am so sorry that happened. Glad you were home though to catch it and am very glad all are okay. I worry about something like that all the time with the MVB bulbs, etc. I will start checking things more often now. Hope you have a better day tomorrow:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. Glad everyone is okay. If you know anyone with an ozone generator, it will get rid of the smoke smell in a couple of hours.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Tom said:
Wow. Glad everyone is okay. If you know anyone with an ozone generator, it will get rid of the smoke smell in a couple of hours.

Thank you! I will ask around ... the house smells horrible!

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Wow, well sounds like you handled it as well as any one could, good job getting the little guys out.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
You poor thing! :( What a horrible thing that happened to you and your tortoises today. I would have freaked out too if I opened the door and saw all of that smoke in there. Good thing you got your tortoises out of that room in time. Keep us updated on how they're doing tomorrow and how you're doing also.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Sorry to hear about your very bad day. I hope you and your torts are going to be ok

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
What a nightmare.. I'm glad you got in there in time before anything serious happened to your torts. I'd be freaking out in that situation.

Drew81

5 Year Member
Fareham, Hampshire, UK
Glad to hear all is ok, I was in a simlar situaton a few years ago when I use to breed French mastiffs and some yobs set fire to the big cabin they were in. Luckily mum dad and fourteen pups were ok.

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Wow thank goodness you and the torts are ok! Just makes me sick how fast this stuff can happen!

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
That is the scariest thing I've heard in a long time! Oh my goodness, so glad you're all ok!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know this is nothing to laugh about, but I'm sorry...the picture of you holding your skirt out in front of you and tossing in the tortoises is just funny to me!!

I'm so glad no one was hurt. Too bad about the asthma attack and hospital bill, but thank goodness it turned out ok. Pretty scary stuff.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
OMG! That is horrible! Glad your house is still standing and everyone is Ok! You poor thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.