FIRE HAZARD WITH TORT

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What do you suggest for me to use? I’ve read a 50/50 of play sand and topsoil will work well?
Soil should never be used. You can't know what composted material it is made of and it could be something toxic. The makers and sellers don't intend for animals to be living on it in indoor enclosures. Sand is no good either. No sand should be used under a tortoise. This is old info that has been repeated for decades, but people who have seen, heard, and smelled a tortoise sand impaction surgery will never use any sand.

Coco coir is the best substrate for Testudo babies, and fine grade orchid bark is best for adults. No sand. No limestone bits. No soil.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Play sand? Real sand? what's the difference, they are both not good. Believe me, the folks here who are advising you know their tortoise stuff. They really care and want to help and I for one am so very glad I came here for help over three years ago!

abbisfab

Teesside, UK
Soil should never be used. You can't know what composted material it is made of and it could be something toxic. The makers and sellers don't intend for animals to be living on it in indoor enclosures. Sand is no good either. No sand should be used under a tortoise. This is old info that has been repeated for decades, but people who have seen, heard, and smelled a tortoise sand impaction surgery will never use any sand.

Coco coir is the best substrate for Testudo babies, and fine grade orchid bark is best for adults. No sand. No limestone bits. No soil.

Thanks for your advice! I will invest in some for him.

Gingersherwood1968

Halifaxp
Hello everyone,
I recently rehomed a tort about a week ago. We built him a big table and secured his light on a piece of wood with screws. It’s a ceramic holder.

I’m wanting to leave his light on all day during the day so he has the right heat etc but my mum who I live with keeps on wanting to turn it off when we are out the house because she is scared of fires. We’ve never had a house fire she’s just scared incase one starts as there’s her beloved dog in the house too. I’ve got a surge protector too, to protect the plug as it’s on an extension lead.

It’s only an 100w bulb, and he’s on damp tortoise substrate.

Can any of you guys give me tips on how to persuade her to keep it on?? Or suggest how I can make it any safer than it is?
I was thinking in investing in a wireless fire alarm or wireless baby monitor so we can look at the table when we are out the house??

I think she thinks because he’s not out of his hide when she’s around he doesn’t need the heat, but he does!

Sorry for sounding daft but I just want the best for my little tort who hasn’t been looked after well by his previous owners.View attachment 287318
Hi. To feel even safer you can buy these metal cages that fit around you lights so if your bulb ever did fall they wouldn't fall on the wood forest flooring. But in the safety cage. These are mine I fitted

Attachments

• 20200306_182037.jpg
    20200306_182037.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11