Fire ants, Ant bait and birds....

DoctorPotterWho

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Has anyone had a problem with laying down ant bait and birds eating it? I know this can't be good. I just baited about 7 fire ant hills today. I just looked outside and about 50 birds (crows) were eating the bait..... Is this going to kill them? Has anyone else had this issue before?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Has anyone had a problem with laying down ant bait and birds eating it? I know this can't be good. I just baited about 7 fire ant hills today. I just looked outside and about 50 birds (crows) were eating the bait..... Is this going to kill them? Has anyone else had this issue before?

Yes, they can die..I would suggest if you use bait that you apply the bait and then completely cover it to prevent the birds from reaching it...like a piece of chicken wire large enough to cover the area raised a little off the ground so beaks can't reach the bait..or a trash can lid over the area...etc...

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
Yes, they can die..I would suggest if you use bait that you apply the bait and then completely cover it to prevent the birds from reaching it...like a piece of chicken wire large enough to cover the area raised a little off the ground so beaks can't reach the bait..or a trash can lid over the area...etc...

Thank you! I feel so awful. I hope it didn't hurt any of them. I kept going out to try to scare them, but they had already eaten most of the bait in all of the areas. ;(

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
After living for a decade in southern Louisiana, I was sick & tired of finding fire ants everywhere. I counted 411 of their nests on our 2 acres! But a month later, it was hard to find any at all.

The first trick takes two people with two shovels: each of you dig up a big chunk on a different nest, & then dump your shovelful on the other nest. They almost always kill each other's queen. For really persistent nests, bring out a gallon jug of boiling water, & pour it down the main hole. I don't think I need to say anything about being careful, now, do I?

That blew two weekends, but the results were well worth it! And remember that birds also eat fire ants.

Ken

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
After living for a decade in southern Louisiana, I was sick & tired of finding fire ants everywhere. I counted 411 of their nests on our 2 acres! But a month later, it was hard to find any at all.

The first trick takes two people with two shovels: each of you dig up a big chunk on a different nest, & then dump your shovelful on the other nest. They almost always kill each other's queen. For really persistent nests, bring out a gallon jug of boiling water, & pour it down the main hole. I don't think I need to say anything about being careful, now, do I?

That blew two weekends, but the results were well worth it! And remember that birds also eat fire ants.

Ken

Thank you, Ken!! I was just telling my husband about two different ant colonies will fight to the death. Sounds super fun to watch to me hahaha. I am going to try that. There are plenty around. Thanks again!