Finished Sulcata Enclosure!!

Professor Brenda

Location (City and/or State)
Pflugerville, Texas
We finished the outdoor sulcata enclosure. Thank you for all your information and answering my questions. It is 32 feet by 40 feet. There is a planter bottom for water. I will probably add a larger one for soaking. I will be adding a rubber flap door to the house and heater for winter. The fence posts are sunk in the ground 2 feet in our hard black dirt. I planted edible plants and we raise hay already. Now I just have to wait for my adoption to go through. I expect to get a juvenile or adult.

Waiting impatiently!
Our tort enclosure2.JPG Tortoise house in enclosure.JPG Our tort enclosure2.JPG Tortoise house in enclosure.JPG Tortoise house.JPG Tortoise hide.JPG bench and tree by tort enclosure.JPG

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
You know what I always have trouble with, the earth staying on top of a burrow or when I make a mound, the rain always seems to eventually wash it away... any tips?

Ps - absolutely love the enclosure it’s very functional and also pleasing on the eye.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Very very good looking! You might look to close in the front of the enclosure a bit so it’s more “protected”,the other thing i would do is grab a bag or two of cypress mulch (or other approved mulch) and put it inside to a few inches deep. Our sully likes to go in his house/enclosure and scoot around a bit til she finds a comfy spot.

Very Nice job.

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
You know what I always have trouble with, the earth staying on top of a burrow or when I make a mound, the rain always seems to eventually wash it away... any tips?

Ps - absolutely love the enclosure it’s very functional and also pleasing on the eye.

Thank you. Yes, if you plant grass on top and put a lot of dirt not a thin layer, you will have better luck keeping the dirt. I have grass seed on it but it has not yet taken and grown. Putting actual squares of grass and watering them daily for a while will hold your topsoil. I may have to do that but I am trying just some seeding and small area transplants first. It helps that I have a tractor to put a lot of dirt on it instead of just me and a shovel.

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Very very good looking! You might look to close in the front of the enclosure a bit so it’s more “protected”,the other thing i would do is grab a bag or two of cypress mulch (or other approved mulch) and put it inside to a few inches deep. Our sully likes to go in his house/enclosure and scoot around a bit til she finds a comfy spot.

Very Nice job.
Thank you. Yes, I have a rubber mat to attach to the house for a swinging "door". That way it keeps in warmth but allows the sully to go in and out at his leisure. We are actually putting that on tomorrow. Do they like the mulch in the house better than a rock bottom? Thanks for that idea.

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
I just got the call. My adoption went through. I will have my new male adult sulcata early next week. I will post pics when I have him. So excited. I will find out more about him at that time such as age and exact size but he looks to be about 20 inches long. No idea of the weight.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I just got the call. My adoption went through. I will have my new male adult sulcata early next week. I will post pics when I have him. So excited. I will find out more about him at that time such as age and exact size but he looks to be about 20 inches long. No idea of the weight.

Congratulations!

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good deal!! I hope to see pictures of him in his new enclosure.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Beautiful tortoise habitat. I would plant one or two maybe three more trees for shade make them food trees so he can eat the leaves that drop. Avoid the grass squares they are full of chemicals and little plastic ties. But a fantastic looking habitat