Finding Organic Plants for Sunshine the Egyptian Tortoise

ShirleyTX

Location (City and/or State)
Canyon Lake TX USA
I'm preparing for my 2 year old Egyptian tortoise to come home. I will plant some things so I know they will be grown without chemicals. But I wanted to have some plants ready for her when she arrives in the next week or two. Chris Leone at Garden State Tortoise (her birth father, LOL) gave me diet instruction and I've consulted the Tortoise Table as well.

Success! I journeyed up to Austin TX to a well known nursery, "The Natural Gardener". The owner is featured on a local PBS show every week and promotes organic gardening. I found several varieties of organic succulents, including some sedum and a flowering ice plant. I also found organic coreopsis and a small organic rose bush. But best of all -- an organically grown hibiscus! So little "Sunshine" (as I've named her) will have home grown food while I'm growing more.

And then there is the advantage of being in south central Texas.... I found a nice lady who has an entire yard full of untreated opuntia cactus, including some spineless. With her permission, I broke/cut four pads to grow at my own home. Note to self: young spineless cactus still have small thorns; wear gloves when handling, dork.

Yes, I know that is enough plant material to feed a whole herd of Egyptian tortoises. I didn't even mention my untreated yard full of Bermuda grass, dandelions, and other yummy stuff. Or the little pan of grass seed I'm planting. I'm suffering from new tortoise mommy syndrome, ok?

Stay tuned for updates on the Egyptian palace I am building. :)