Finally introducing myself... and my tortoise!

VeggieMom

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I joined this forum a while ago as I was trying to decide if a tortoise was right for me. I came to the conclusion that my current situation didn't allow for me to meet their needs, so I waited. Well I've moved into a bigger house, and at the Seattle Reptile Expo I picked up my first tortoise, a Hermann. He's currently in a large Rubbermaid tub while we clear out a spare room to build his tortoise table, and will hopefully have some type of outdoor enclosure soon. I live near Seattle, Washington so he won't be able to live permanently outdoors, but I will have him out as much as possible. His name (for now) is Herman. I couldn't decide on a good name, so instead of just calling him "the tortoise" I wanted to call him Herman temporarily, but I have yet to come up with anything I like better. :) I'm so happy to finally be a tortoise owner!

Here he is:

hermanbury.jpg

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Hi there! Welcome! You came to the right place! There is a plethora of information for you soak in! Open and read as many threads as you can on your species, you will find detailed info on your gorgeous tort, his diet and enclosures!

Glad you are here!

Are those pine shavings?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Salutations,
Glad to have you aboard, nice looking tortoise.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome. Good to have you here. Welcome.

VeggieMom

5 Year Member
Thank you all! I have been spending nearly all my free time browsing through as many threads as I can. Unfortunately in that picture yes, they were pine shavings. They were next to the aspen shavings at the pet store and I mistakenly grabbed that bag instead of the aspen. However I caught my mistake, and he is now on orchid bark, as I read that is a good substrate for Hermanns, but I am always open to other ideas!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! From what I can see Herman has a very handsomely marked carapace shell. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very nice looking tortoise. I like your newest substrate choice the best.