finally got my baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
delaware
Helo everyone. well went to the retpicon in baltimore and bought my redfoot. got a good deal but now i know why. it has ggod wait and all and is kind of eating but i noticed to late that he has a bit off a messed up jaw. i am going to see what happens hopefully all will turn out ok. i couldnt believe that there was hardly any sellers at the repticon it honestly was a waste of time. barely any tortoises or frogs there at all it was pretty much bearded dragons crested geckos and snakes. i will post pics of my baby. i know most will ask why i dont just take him back if he has a messed up jaw. well im a softie i guess i know if he goes back he probably wont make it and at least here he will have a good home no matter what happens. i will post pics tomorrow

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
CONGRADS MATT.........now lets see some pics of yer new little fella!
JD~:)

mattk

5 Year Member
delaware
photo[2].JPGphoto[1].JPGphoto[2].JPGhere are a few i took with my phone

photo[2] (2).JPGphoto[3] (2).JPGphoto[4].JPGhere are a few more

Last edited by a moderator:

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Congrats Matt :D he's so cute! He went to a great home. I'm sure everything will turn out great.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, how much did you get him for? He has extra scutes, so that probably helped contribute to the good deal. I hope he becomes healthy and strong under your care!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
He is a cutie!! I would tell the breeder you noticed his jaw! I would keep him tho!! He will do great with you taking good care of him!!!

mattk

5 Year Member
delaware
thanks everyone. i bought her i think its a her has a very short tail. i didnt get it from a breeder there was a place selling them and for the life of me i cant remember the name of them. i didnt even realy notice the extra scutes to tell the truth. i only paid 60 for her. as soon as i save up enough i am def going to get one from a good breeder. im hoping her jaw is not to bad. it doesnt seem to stop her from eating and she def has a lot of eenergy as i took her outside and she was just walking everywhere she could. only thing i have to do is make sure i chop up her food very very smal right now. forgot to ask how can u tell if its a male or female as i need to come up with a name because right now im just calling it 'lit bit'.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Generally you can't sex a redfoot until it's about 6-7" long... unless it was temp sexed it's really a crap shoot until then. That's why I have two names.. Darwin if it's a boy (what I'm hoping for), or Daria if it's a girl (still awesome).

At any rate, $60 is a really good price! Though since you don't know where it's from, I would consider going to the vet and getting a basic exam as well as a fecal smear just to make sure he's doing alright and doesn't have any parasites.

I got Darwin from Tyler at Tortoisesupply.com, and it was a great experience. I've also heard really great things about Vicki from tortoiseyard.com. I think I'm going to use her Tortoise table plans once Darwin gets a little larger.

Also, could you describe a little more what you mean by its jaw being messed up? Does it move oddly? Make sounds?

mattk

5 Year Member
delaware
well his jaw looks like a peice is missing its hard to describe. its not botherng him so i think its a birth defect. hes not having to much problems eating as long as i cut everything up small. he is very active and eats all the time. im going to try and get him up to the vet next week as the only vet we have around here is a hour and a half away

jfb2733

5 Year Member
Claymont, DE
congrats matt. I was able to make it down to repticon today and like you very dissapointed. Lucky for you their was a redfoot to buy. today their were no hatchlings their and only a total of like 3 tortoises all together. I did however still come home with a new family memeber...lol Hope everything goes well with the little one.

and like Mgridgaway I would have to recomend Vicki. She is great to buy from. That is who i got Shelby from and have not had any issues.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Congratulations Matt!
I too am a softy and brought a Russian home that well- I knew no one would want. It's been about three weeks after the vet visit and shell treatment and he's doing great! I even got him out into the sun in some great warm temps!
A vet visit could do the trick with the beak- mine had an issue and the vet actually remedied it!! This turtle is little so you can help it while it's still growing. Is there a large bump inside the beak? Any odd growth that you can see?

It got lucky with you :) home at last!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Congrats!! I'm sure he will grow up to be happy & healthy!! He's a cutie!! I got my RF baby this week too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.