Filtration advice

MafiaAlCapone

Location (City and/or State)
São João de ver
So my friend got two snapping turtle hatchlings,and they are the most adorable thing in the planet.
He sent me this pick of his enclosure,and i realized that he does not have a filter nor a heater.Maybe he does not have a heater due to his house being warm,but shouldn't he have a filter?I asked him why he didn't have one and he says he didn't need it.

Attachments

• tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.jpg
    tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 13

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
I know nothing about keeping turtles at all... but I do keep fish, and without filtration, or a current it wont take long to go stagnant, smelly and grow algae in there.

I don't know why your friend has put those circular filter stones loose in there... theyre designed to be sat inside a 3 part pond filter with a pump that fires the water through 3 grades of filter then finally a coarse sponge to remove contaminants and then filter back into the tank.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Snapping turtles produce a TON of waste.
You'll either need to filter/cycle the water or be very diligent about cleaning the tank and replacing the water regularly.
They'll soon be swimming in pure ammonia.

MafiaAlCapone

São João de ver
I know nothing about keeping turtles at all... but I do keep fish, and without filtration, or a current it wont take long to go stagnant, smelly and grow algae in there.

I don't know why your friend has put those circular filter stones loose in there... theyre designed to be sat inside a 3 part pond filter with a pump that fires the water through 3 grades of filter then finally a coarse sponge to remove contaminants and then filter back into the tank.
thanks for the reply,i'll tell him that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So my friend got two snapping turtle hatchlings,and they are the most adorable thing in the planet.
He sent me this pick of his enclosure,and i realized that he does not have a filter nor a heater.Maybe he does not have a heater due to his house being warm,but shouldn't he have a filter?I asked him why he didn't have one and he says he didn't need it.
What species are we talking about? The upper one doesn't look like what we call a snapping turtle here in the US. The lower right one might be, but I can't see in the picture even when I zoom in. I'd separate them before one separates the other.

Definitely need a basking lamp, but many people keep turtles with no filter. They make so much waste that most filters can't keep up. Most turtles keepers I know opt to do large frequent water changes to keep the water clean and waste load down.