Filing a beak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
my turtle is blind and does not chew on his cuttle bone, should I file his beak a little? it seems like its getting a bit longer...but dont know how long it should be in the first place.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I have used a Dremel in the past to trim beaks, but, if it is something you are unsure of, I would get the help of a vet or someone else that knows what they are doing. If you remove too much, it will bleed.

You can also start feeding him on a piece of slate tile, which helps to wear it down naturally.

Do you have pictures? What caused him to be blind? *Wait, wasn't yours the one with the birth defect?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It's a sanding tip, actually made for sanding acrylic nails ;) (Among my millions of other talents, :D I am also a cosmetologist, and worked in the profession for ten years.)

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I have used nail clippers on a Hermanns before with ease, I assume a turtle would be the same. Since your unsure if its too long, you might want to post some photos first.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
Yes mine is the birth defect turtle. He is doing great! I have trained him to find his food dish and where his water bowl is. I have tried to feed him on a flat rock, but because he can't see, he just opens his mouth and starts chopping, so he has to have it in a bowl so that the sides hold the food in place. Would a finger nail file work? one of those really tough ones for acrylic nails. Sorry the pics are a little blurry, he wasn't in the mood for pictures :)
SDC13637.jpg

SDC13638.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

I am so proud of you for keeping a blind turtle and so successfully teaching him to eat. I also have a blind turtle and I put her food up against the wall for the same reason. She is an adult and eats quite willingly I also feed her worms using tweezers, I used to offer her worms in my fingers, but she bites really hard! I don't trim her beak and I don't think yours looks too long...

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Aw he's a sweet thing, are you talking about the length or the buildup? It seems as if it's a little thick, but idk what kind of turtle it is, so it may be common. Also major kudos to you for taking care of such a special turtle. :D

Prinmel

5 Year Member
He is a desert box, he kind of just fell into my care so I am not sure what you mean by buidup, I was meaning length though.

Status
Not open for further replies.