Filberts set up again...couple new things..no sand???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatMurray

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hello All!!!

Here are just 3 pictures of the set up. I added a new little log hideout and some other little things. The thing is that you guys were saying that straight sand is bad because they will eat it. Another concern of mine was that it holds in the heat, which he loves, but it also holds in the cold at night. I scattered some cypress bedding on the surface of the sand area but not I'm not sure if its efficient.
The thing is that he is really now starting to get quite comfortable and he has built a little burrow (more like a little trench) underneath the smaller log hideout, which is on top of the sand. I scattered a little cypress bedding on top of the sand and put some moss inside the hideouts and he really seems to like it. (he sleeps under the little log hideout every night)
I am going to soak him when he decides to wake up and stretch his legs a little and I was then going to combine the sand with some more organic soil ( which I just so happen to have another bag of because I bought 1 too many lol) but I really think he will be angry as hell at me for destroying one of his favorite spots!

Please leave me any useful information or insight as to what I should do about this current situation. Thanks again!!! ;)

Patrick ;) (sorry my camera is awful)

1014091200.jpg

1014091201.jpg

1014091203.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Nice set-up! If you are worried about him and change, then put the log back in the same location and he'll burrow back under just like before. They don't like a lot of changes because they become creatures of habit in their areas, but what you are doing shouldn't bother him at all. :)

PatMurray

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Greg T said:
Nice set-up! If you are worried about him and change, then put the log back in the same location and he'll burrow back under just like before. They don't like a lot of changes because they become creatures of habit in their areas, but what you are doing shouldn't bother him at all. :)

Destroying his little log hideout home shouldn't bother him??
I haven't moved anything from its original position since I got him about a week ago. At first I had a little cardboard hideout in the sand and then I went out and got a similar log to the one I have originally had and placed it exactly where the cardboard one was. (You can see them in the pictures)

The issue really is just the sand?? Should I dig it out and then mix it with the organic soil??? And will this devastate him??

Anyone one with experience know the answer?? Muchos grasias!!

Patrick;)

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
It won't devastate him :). Mixing it at least 50/50 with organic soil sounds perfect. He'll probably even like it better since soil holds shape better when he burrows into it.

PatMurray

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hey everyone!!

Well I mixed the sand and the organic soil during his soak yesterday. I'm not gonna lie I was quite angry because when I put him back in he went straight for the food, which is the usual routine, but then when he was laying in the basking area he started slightly munching the sand/soil. The only reason I mixed it was because you guys said that is wasn't stable enough which is understandable, but when he started to pick away at the ground I wanted to flip. I of course stopped him from consuming it and have had an eye on him constantly ever since. To try and stop this terrible habit I sprinkled some cypress mulch on top of the areas where he was munching. (It was mainly in the basking area) This stopped him from doing it last night but today is a whole new day so we will see. Maybe its something in the organic soil that he thinks is tasty? I know of course, him eating dirt cannot be a good thing. Right?

He is currently sleeping and I'll let you guys know the days progress.

One more question...well I live in New Jersey and the weather is starting to get quite chilly. We had our first little bit of snow today. What should his perfect temps be during the day and at night. Now the daytime temp is 94 in the basking and 65 on the right side. The night is what worries me. His nighttime routing consists of me dimming the spot lamp to barely nothing and he gets the hint and walks himself to one of his favorite hideouts. Its just that lately he has been sleeping quite long and he always walks straight back to under the basking light after doing anything. He is eating like a champ and all seems well, its just I don't want him to freeze during the night. I'm almost positive that the temp at night for him doesn't go below 58. The left side is his basking area which consists of a 100 watt zoo med Repti basking spot lamp with dimmer. Its is about 10-12 inches from the ground. The other light is the Reptisun terrarium hood with a 15watt 5.0 UVB hung above at 13''.

I really appreciate all the great information you guys have given me and its probably why Filbert is doing so well!! Thank you!

Sincerely,
Patrick & Filbert (3 months old)

--pictures are below--taken yesterday--

Attachments

• 1011091918.jpg
    1011091918.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1015091306.jpg
    1015091306.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 1014091201.jpg
    1014091201.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 15
  • 1015091308.jpg
    1015091308.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 1014091346.jpg
    1014091346.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 13

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Love the lil mushrooms!!!!! Does he/she try to climb the rocks in that bottom right corner?

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
He may just be 'sampling' the dirt mixture since it's new. Hopefully he'll stop when he realizes it's not food.

For night temps, 58 seems a bit low. You may want to get a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) or IR heat lamp to provide some heat at night without the light. Just turn it on when you turn off the basking lamp.

PatMurray

5 Year Member
New Jersey
dreadyA said:
Love the lil mushrooms!!!!! Does he/she try to climb the rocks in that bottom right corner?

dreadyA,

Yes he does every once in awhile. Lately he has just been in the routine of eating then basking then eating then basking then adventuring occasionally. He has climbed on almost everything. Yesterday was the first time he climbed on top of the little log hideout. He more or less just laid on the side of it. Lol. But he did make a hell of an effort.

To be honest tho it has been getting colder here and I have noticed a little less adventuring. But all in all he is quite a piece of work! Funny little guy!!

Just took a picture of him, its attached!

Sincerely,
Patrick

Attachments

• 1015091752.jpg
    1015091752.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 18

K412

5 Year Member
VA
Really adorable! I love his home, it's like a Disneyland for tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.