Fighting......will I ever be able to house them together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIttleGreys

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am trying to downsize the amount of containers/lights/etc and thought if I could put two of my Russians together, that would simplify things.
I have a female that my friend gave me last July. She has been alone ever since. I have a young male (I was told he is 6 years old) that I thought was a female up until I got flashed a couple months ago, LOL! He has also been kept alone. She is about 4 1/2 inches, he is a little fella, about 3 3/4 inches. I put them together just now and they immediately ran over and put their noses together and stayed like that for quite some time, then she started biting his legs and he started ramming her. They never would seperate even though the pen is big. They just kept circling each other and biting and ramming, so I took the male out.
Will I ever be able to put them together? Will they stop fighting after awhile or will they just hurt each other? I planned to put them outside together this summer, now I'm not sure I will be able.
I am having to travel some with my mom to her cancer treatments and was trying to simplify caring for all my animals to make it easier on the housesitter!
Any words of wisdom? Do I just have spoiled rotten tortoises?!? LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They probably would be ok in a large pen outside. Little Russian tortoises are very aggressive fighters. If you put them together in a different habitat from what they think of as their own, it might be better. They have to defend their territory from the intruder. Outside with lots of visual barriers, you can get away with it. I have about 11 russians together in the same large pen. There is only the fighting associated with breeding.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It sounds like your Russians are 2 males. Usually a male and female wouldn't be fighting, just the male going after the female and her hiding her head. You can post plastron and tail pictures of the larger one and we could sex it for you. :)

Danny

LIttleGreys

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
It sounds like your Russians are 2 males. Usually a male and female wouldn't be fighting, just the male going after the female and her hiding her head. You can post plastron and tail pictures of the larger one and we could sex it for you. :)

Danny

I posted pictures in the fall and you sexed them for me :D
The little guy I now for sure, since I saw his parts :p Maybe I'll have to keep a closer eye on Violet just to be sure!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is possible you have an aggressive female :D or I could have been wrong :p

Yup looking at the pictures again, I do believe I was wrong. :D

Danny

LIttleGreys

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
It is possible you have an aggressive female :D or I could have been wrong :p

Yup looking at the pictures again, I do believe I was wrong. :D

Danny
This is the one, I posted a couple...
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-4955.html
Do you really think its boy?? Nuts!! With names like Violet and Pixie those boys are doomed, LOL!!!!
I just gave away my only female then. Ah well. Nothing is easy for me. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.