Fiber for Russian

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
British columbia
The dandelion mix I bought from amazon to grow indoors appears to have no dandelion in it haha. The consensus seems to be that it's probably marigold, and theres something else developing too....it was marketed as tortoise food tho, but I'm waiting to see? At least the clover was clover. Any takers on what this new one coming in could be?

20200220_195431.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The dandelion mix I bought from amazon to grow indoors appears to have no dandelion in it haha. The consensus seems to be that it's probably marigold, and theres something else developing too....it was marketed as tortoise food tho, but I'm waiting to see? At least the clover was clover. Any takers on what this new one coming in could be?

Randy, it’s better if you start an independent thread when you have a distinct, new question; it will draw more attention that way.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
I agree with rosemary, you’ll get a lot more info from people starting a new thread. But while I have you here, I downloaded an app on my phone called plant snap. You take a picture of the plant and it gives you a few options of what they could be. I then cross reference them with the tortoise table to see if they’re ok for my tort. It’s really fun. HOWEVER, it can sometimes be wrong, so don’t take every suggestion as what it shows. Be a 100% sure before feeding as to not poison your little friend. It keeps me busy and my torts diet is expanding. 99% of the time someone on here will be able to identify if you can’t figure it out, so good luck and have fun!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Whoops sorry didnt mean to hijack the thread ?, meant to say that not all seed mixes come as advertised, some are mystery mixes, just to be aware. Just got plant snap, this is going to be fun! Thanks!
No worries. It’s just that you will get redirected here pretty quickly and it always makes me feel a little sad for newbies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

View attachment 286656
That looks like it might be horseweed, a VERY obnoxious weed that's terrible hard to get rid of.

I certainly wouldn't buy seeds from that company anymore. I don't see any dandelion in the above picture.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks like it might be horseweed, a VERY obnoxious weed that's terrible hard to get rid of.
Now that you say that, a couple of those leaves do look a little like horse weed, but some of the others show too much serration. I'm going to go outside and look at my horse weed again. It grows everywhere here and I'm constantly pulling it out by the root and chucking it in the trash.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I took some pics of little sprouting horse weed. I had to search around for it. I've been successful at removing it. Pen for size reference.
IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Horseweed; pull immediately. Not toxic but as Yvonne said, hard to get rid of. Also hideous.