Fiber for Russian

JoeWells

Location (City and/or State)
Morro Bay
Hey all. I’ve had my Russian tortoise since mid January. I was told he/she was born last August or September. I’m just going to refer to it as “she” because that’s what the breeder said it would most likely be. Anyways, being my first pet, I’ve had enormous amounts of pleasure raising her and foraging around for edible plants and weeds for her daily meals. The only concern I have is her amount of fiber intake. I’m not very versed in which local plants have a higher fiber amount than others. I’ve been told the spineless cactus has a good amount but she isn’t very interested in it and she won’t take more than a bite of the Mazuri soaked pellets I put in front of her. That being said, does anyone have any suggestions or tricks I can use to make sure she’s getting a healthy amount of fiber? Any specific plants or supplements I can use to ensure her health? She eats a huge variety of different things. I’ve really been enjoying the foraging aspect of having a tortoise, so she may be getting all she needs through the various options I give her but I want to make sure. I live on the central coast of California in the small town of Morro Bay. As always, your suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Also Dandelions leaves and flowers, The leaves of most weeds will provide more than enugh fiber.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Also Dandelions leaves and flowers, The leaves of most weeds will provide more than enugh fiber.
Great to know. I’ll hunt down some plantains. She just recently started devouring the flowers from dandelions as before she would only eat the leaves. I’m sure I’m just a worry wart. I would imagine she’s getting plenty. I’ll be on the look out for hibiscus as well. Before I had a tort I swear I saw them everywhere but now that I’m trying to find them there’s none to be seen. Thanks blackdog

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
My russian devours a whole plantain weed plant in no more than two days when I add the whole thing to his enclosure when they are growing!

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Do you have any idea which plant this is? I’m having trouble identifying it

C235804B-301B-49F9-98CA-EADC926F24E5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I think that is dock. Probably a second opinion would be a good idea. But if it is dock it's not good to feed. It's ok if she takes a bite here or there but don't include it in her diet.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
I think that is dock. Probably a second opinion would be a good idea. But if it is dock it's not good to feed. It's ok if she takes a bite here or there but don't include it in her diet.
Shucks! It’s everywhere in the yard across my street. Good thing I asked, thank you

JoeWells

Morro Bay
My russian devours a whole plantain weed plant in no more than two days when I add the whole thing to his enclosure when they are growing!
Can I get plantain seeds anywhere? Or is it weed that no one would think of growing?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Can I get plantain seeds anywhere? Or is it weed that no one would think of growing?
Growing Weeds is a dark secret that Tortoise Keepers have. I have a few neighbors that villify me if they new what I was growing in my yard! BTW just do a friends and family search for their weeds or anywhere you can be certain doesn't get sprayed for weeds and bug control. There are tortie seed mixes available online

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Growing Weeds is a dark secret that Tortoise Keepers have. I have a few neighbors that villify me if they new what I was growing in my yard! BTW just do a friends and family search for their weeds or anywhere you can be certain doesn't get sprayed for weeds and bug control. There are tortie seed mixes available online
Haha! That’s classic. I’m sure your neighbors just think you take horrible care of your yard. It’s a small group of people that actually try and grow weed gardens I guess. I’ll check into the seed mixes, thanks again

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

It’s dock. I wouldn’t feed it but she probably wouldn’t eat more than a bite anyway.

Not sure how you get anything to grow in Morro Bay, it’s so gloomy much of the time! But if she’s eating a good amount of weeds, I wouldn’t worry about it. Well, okay I totally would worry but I’m a worrywort. :)

They don’t all like cactus and they don’t all like Mazuri at first exposure. I like to suggest squash and melon leaves, they are super high in fiber and plants are cheap so when it dies you can just get a new one. Mine likes chayote and bittermelon the best; zucchini can be a little bit harder so I put shredded cucumber on it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Hmm, I’ve thought more about it and if you are up in the hills this time of year you can find plenty of mustard. I’m not sure if a captive bred tortoise will eat it, it’s fairly strong. My wild caught will eat it, though. It gets more “mustardy” in the summer so spring is the time to feed it. It’s got some good fiber.

You surely have nasturtiums around? Not really high in fiber, I’m mentioning it just because you can use it for a little variety.

Vibes

South Florida
Hey all. I’ve had my Russian tortoise since mid January. I was told he/she was born last August or September. I’m just going to refer to it as “she” because that’s what the breeder said it would most likely be. Anyways, being my first pet, I’ve had enormous amounts of pleasure raising her and foraging around for edible plants and weeds for her daily meals. The only concern I have is her amount of fiber intake. I’m not very versed in which local plants have a higher fiber amount than others. I’ve been told the spineless cactus has a good amount but she isn’t very interested in it and she won’t take more than a bite of the Mazuri soaked pellets I put in front of her. That being said, does anyone have any suggestions or tricks I can use to make sure she’s getting a healthy amount of fiber? Any specific plants or supplements I can use to ensure her health? She eats a huge variety of different things. I’ve really been enjoying the foraging aspect of having a tortoise, so she may be getting all she needs through the various options I give her but I want to make sure. I live on the central coast of California in the small town of Morro Bay. As always, your suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
not on topic, but your hatching is ADORABLE!

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Hmm, I’ve thought more about it and if you are up in the hills this time of year you can find plenty of mustard. I’m not sure if a captive bred tortoise will eat it, it’s fairly strong. My wild caught will eat it, though. It gets more “mustardy” in the summer so spring is the time to feed it. It’s got some good fiber.

You surely have nasturtiums around? Not really high in fiber, I’m mentioning it just because you can use it for a little variety.
Thanks for all the advice Rosemary. It’s kind of strange, years ago when I first moved here the weather was just that, gloomy. In the last few years the climate has changed so much. We get about 10% of the fog we used to have back then. It’s primarily sunny now with the occasional winter weather.

Nasturtiums are probably the most abundant plant I have at my house, unfortunately, she doesn’t take to them very well. Leaves nor flowers. I mix a bit in her meal just in case she changes her mind though. I’ll try the mustard plant. I know they’re around but I’m not sure exactly what they look like. I’m sure I can figure it out. I haven’t tried the cucumber, is that a good thing to try on plants she doesn’t like as much?

JoeWells

Morro Bay
not on topic, but your hatching is ADORABLE!
Thank you. I think so as well. I’ll take some photos when she wakes up. She has these two white spots on her shell that she’s had since I got her, I’ve been meaning to see if anyone knows what they’re from. You have a wonderful looking tort as well!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Nasturtiums are probably the most abundant plant I have at my house, unfortunately, she doesn’t take to them very well. Leaves nor flowers. I mix a bit in her meal just in case she changes her mind though. I’ll try the mustard plant. I know they’re around but I’m not sure exactly what they look like. I’m sure I can figure it out. I haven’t tried the cucumber, is that a good thing to try on plants she doesn’t like as much?

My Russian only eats the leaves of nasturtiums, not the flowers (?). She also only eats them until June. ”Tortoise gonna do what tortoise gonna do,” is what we say at my house. They are pretty peppery so it makes sense they aren’t your tortoises first choice.

Most tortoises really like cucumber; it’s actually a fruit, not a vegetable, which makes it a little higher in sugar than many plants and delicious. If they aren’t eating new foods grating cucumber over them or just mushing them with your hands so they drip can often do the trick. Over time they get used to the taste of the new food and you can reduce the cucumber.

I’m really sorry to hear that about the weather. The fogs there weren’t my favorite but you need some gloom for the estuaries.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Mustard. Four petaled yellow flower. The leaves are a bit ruffly when young, then flatten out.

View attachment 286444

View attachment 286445
Mustard. Four petaled yellow flower. The leaves are a bit ruffly when young, then flatten out.

View attachment 286444

View attachment 286445
My Russian only eats the leaves of nasturtiums, not the flowers (?). She also only eats them until June. ”Tortoise gonna do what tortoise gonna do,” is what we say at my house. They are pretty peppery so it makes sense they aren’t your tortoises first choice.

Most tortoises really like cucumber; it’s actually a fruit, not a vegetable, which makes it a little higher in sugar than many plants and delicious. If they aren’t eating new foods grating cucumber over them or just mushing them with your hands so they drip can often do the trick. Over time they get used to the taste of the new food and you can reduce the cucumber.

I’m really sorry to hear that about the weather. The fogs there weren’t my favorite but you need some gloom for the estuaries.
Now I feel like a dumb dumb. Mustard is the yellow flower plant?! It’s everywhere. I’m going out to get some today. I’m excited about the cucumber. There’s so many little tweaks and tricks to try with torts, it makes everything so fun! I’m sort of hesitant to buy any plants from the hardware store. Last time I was there I asked if a few different plants were grown organically and the girl helping me said she “thinks so” so I didn’t make the purchase. I wonder where I can get squash plants from. I’ll do a bit of research to see if there’s any organic nurseries around. I think my dad has grown all sorts of squash so I’m sure I’ll find it close by

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Now I feel like a dumb dumb. Mustard is the yellow flower plant?! It’s everywhere. I’m going out to get some today. I’m excited about the cucumber. There’s so many little tweaks and tricks to try with torts, it makes everything so fun! I’m sort of hesitant to buy any plants from the hardware store. Last time I was there I asked if a few different plants were grown organically and the girl helping me said she “thinks so” so I didn’t make the purchase. I wonder where I can get squash plants from. I’ll do a bit of research to see if there’s any organic nurseries around. I think my dad has grown all sorts of squash so I’m sure I’ll find it close by

Get a few seeds, throw them in a jiffy pot, water, keep warm. In a week or so you will have a few leaves sprouting, and not long after that a plant. Free tort food.