Few questions (well a few :P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Walmart, Home Depot, garden centers, craft stores, outdoors, etc. Where did you look so far?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
tortoisenerd said:
I never found a saucer to work (or paint tray, plate, lid, or ramp bowl) so I got a dish with stairs. That is all of the places I would have looked except maybe a craft store...they all seem to carry the same stuff though.

Kate, where did you get a dish with stairs....do you have a pictures? I would love to see it. Thanks

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I got it at Petco, the Groovy Jacuzzi by Fluker's. $25 for the XL size which is appropriate for a hatchling up to maybe 5-6 inches (it's the largest they make unfortunately). Picture above or PM me for a close up shot as I've posted it a few times and I don't want to interrupt this thread.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Good saucers... I sometimes feel like I could make a million bucks if I could design an effective but reasonably priced tortoise water dish!

Some ideas I have seen or tried myself...

- Build a 'patio deck' for your saucer, a la 'hottub deck'. Make a simple platform with a hole in it for the saucer or dish such that there is no more lip showing. This also serves to give the tortoise a chance to 'walk off' a lot of the dirt they otherwise drag into the dish.

- Double dishes. Use a pair of dishes or saucers or paint trays so the bottom one is dug in nice and securely, and the top one can be removed easily for servicing, then put right back in place neatly.

- The Beach. Surround your dish with river rock and pebbles so the area drains nicely, dirt is knocked off, and the top of the rock is level with the dish rim. This works well with the double dish idea.

With a little effort, you can make your own steps. You can silicone glue together some flat stones, mold your own from plaster of Paris, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.