Fertile Russian Tortoise Eggs?

puppo19

5 Year Member
I have a male and female RT and this morning when I went to feed them and found two eggs! (She originally had three but one of them crushed it...) How do I know if it's fertile? I placed them in their own soil in a plastic container in an open shoe box with a small dish of water next to their heat lamp... I really can't afford to buy an incubator so what is the chances the eggs will actually be fertile... I've had them for 3-4 years and she shows the "pregnant" signs every summer, so I NEVER thought she'd actually lay any! Please help, thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Chances are good, and chances that future clutches are fertile are even better.

Incubators are only $50. You can sell a single baby for $100+. That is a good investment anyway you look at it. An open container next to a water dish and a heat lamp is not likely to work.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
If you don't want an incubator, then there is a greater chance they might not hatch. You could try them in a box with slightly damp vermiculite. If it works out, and they are fertile, they should hatch in 3 months (try sharpieing a date in the eggs) but I would the box out of their enclosure :)