Ferret attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Well guys, working with animals has it's dangers, Saturday night when most are partying I was in the ER,yes I was mauled by a ferret that I was taming.

It wasn't his fault.
I have been vetting anyone that was interested in him, his previous owner had him locked in a cage 24/7 for 4 years.
When they brought him to me he was savage, but within a week I had him eating out of my hand,
I have been working with since last week on not biting when provoked, he was brilliant,
He never attempted to bite me.
Then a lady came, she had, had ferrets before and she said she would carry on with his training
His name by the way was chuki.
When we got to the till he was ok and she asked me to put a harness on him,
Which I started to do, but for some reason she hit him and he lashed out on the first thing he could see ( my hand)

He bit in to me, but my hand swelled so quickly that the poor thing couldn't let go, he was trying but my h and swelled that much he couldn't.
My friend put a pair of scissors in his mouth to stop him closing his mouth, than I had to let him bite with the top of his jaw, so we could prize his bottom teath out.

Poor thing was covered in blood (mine) . I didn't panic or try to hurt him in any way. It was not his fault.

I asked them if they still wanted him and they said yes. Meanwhile I went into the vets and collapsed,

The ambulance came and took me to ER.

So I could be out of comission for a while.:(
Hope chuki is ok!:(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne, I don't want to poke fun if you are serious, but do you guys have an "April Fools Day" over there in Spain?

Are we talking about a German Shepard or a "dirty little weasel" as my wife likes to affectionately call them? I have trained and dealt with nippy ferrets before, and been bitten lots of times, but I've never seen anyone have to go to the hospital for one. Wow.

If you really are serious, then I wish you a speedy recovery.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
OMG Yvonne how scary!! Glad you are ok. How aweful!!! Did you have to get stitches or anything? Do they carry rabies?

Why did she hit the ferrett?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i hope you are ok,, but it sounds a bit off.. your hand swelled so fast the ferret couldnt let go?
She hit it? why? and they still took it home?
Stories like this are why some states.. calif.. wont legalize them.. among other stupid reasons..

type more when you can!!

M

Maggie Cummings

I sure hope you are OK Yvonne. It sounds awful. I have been bitten by Bob who won't let go no matter what I do, and the pain is awful. When you get better, please get that animal back from that lady, she doesn't deserve him...

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Tom i too have been dealing with ferrets for years, and gotten bitten in the process,but never this bad. Unfortunately he he bit me about 15 times that i counted and deep ones, it was only about 4 mins long.
Hasn't put me of them,
I will carry on as normal its not the first bite and it wont be the last, I am actually trying to think of an animal in a pets shop that hasn't bitten me. The last 2 were a german shepherd (tom that was the third shepherd bite:D) and a Boa.

No broken bones but i do have swelling around the tendons and muscle damage,
Not sure why my hand swelled so quickly.
I think it was blood that couldn't get out because he couldn't get his teeth out,
Everyone asks me why i didn't throttle him, reason being that i could see him trying to let go.

I know i should not have let her take him but i wasnt thinking straight, afterwards i kept saying hows the ferret and what will happen to him..:(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad it was not as serious as it could be. Am also glad my three ferrets can't read this, might give them ideas. :D Not really, well atleast not the two males, but the female. Let's just say if she thinks she can get a bite in, she is game to try it. :rolleyes: Hasn't gotten me yet (knocking on my wooden head) and fortunately these days, she seldom any more even tries to bite anybody.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I have had ferrets and they never attempted to bite, even in play.
But this one went for the kill as you'd say,
Because its a bite i cant have stitches, so ive got it all wrapped up and have to go to the docs everyday to get it clean.

They asked me at the ER if the ferret had been vaccinated against rabies and i told them that the ferret had more chance of catching something of me, Gotta keep smiling, until they start prodding then i swear.

I would never hurt an animal, I know it attacked me, but that is a ferrets natural behaviour, he was so good with me, I think i was too good and he only responded to me,
I always say if an animal doesn't trust someone then you shouldn't either.

live and learn..

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
My sympathies, sounds painful!

I can't say I"ve had as much experience as you and Tom, but I have had a couple ferrets over the years and just love them. Guess I've been lucky as I've never been bitten, I can imagine they can do some real damage though.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Any bite should be cleaned and disinfected fast, infection is the worst part. I have been bitten by police dogs in training, the worst is the pressure. No permanent damage.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if he was not vaccinated... be sure he is still alive 10 days after he bit you.. that is the normal quarantine for a bite here in the states.. Are you in contact with the person who took him?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Haven't a clue where he's at.
But that doesn't concern me, I was bitten by a raccoon about 2 years back, it was less painful,lol

My own ferrets that I've had over the years have never bitten me, and at work I have been bitten by them a lot, as I was the one that had to tame them.

I love ferrets and it hasn't put me off.

But guys your right, bites clear up pretty quickly if there are no complications.
Thanks guys:D

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
The question of the day still remains......WHY DID SHE HIT HIM???

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Don't know why she hit him, I was more concerned about getting him of my hand and getting it seen too

samclau07

5 Year Member
bikerchicspain said:
Don't know why she hit him, I was more concerned about getting him of my hand and getting it seen too

I rarely post on this forum, but read nearly all the posts. This thread is a little mind boggling for me, so I couldn't resist responding.

First off, I'm very sorry you were hurt, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

However, this woman hit the ferret and then you let her take him to live with her?! And yet in your signature you advocate for harsher punishments for animal cruelty? Isn't hitting an animal cruelty? But you still think she is the right person to care for this ferret? Seems slightly hypocritical.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
samclau07 said:
bikerchicspain said:

I rarely post on this forum, but read nearly all the posts. This thread is a little mind boggling for me, so I couldn't resist responding.

First off, I'm very sorry you were hurt, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

However, this woman hit the ferret and then you let her take him to live with her?! And yet in your signature you advocate for harsher punishments for animal cruelty? Isn't hitting an animal cruelty? But you still think she is the right person to care for this ferret? Seems slightly hypocritical.
If you was being attacked by an animal the last thing you are thinking about is
why the person hit him in the first place,:(
I am not talking one bite, I am talking about several bites, serious enough for an
ambulance to be called, so I'm sorry if I didn't hang around to take the ferret of
her, or get her telephone number.:rolleyes:
Hypothetically! If you was in a park and someone hit a pit bull and the dog turned
on the nearest person, the nearest being you! Whilst the animal is tearing into
you skin would you stop and say that guy should not take that animal home! Or
would you be more concerned about your own safety?

Ferret wasn't concerned about being cruel to my hand,:D
It would of been easier and less painful for me to kill the animal, while he was biting, but I didnt, I was calm, until I saw the damage.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
What a horrible experiance for you Yvvone. I don't know anything about ferrets and have never seen one that was a pet. I have seen what i think are farrets that were turned lose or excaped running around and they are adorable.
I would think you would have the ladies phone number. She must have contacted you somehow. Did she fill out paper work. I had to fill out a ton of paper work to be a foster parent to a poodle. I would also think she would be concerned about you and call, stop by the hospital or something to check on you. Did you get stitches? Is there going to be any damage to your hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.