Fernando's outside enclosure and his first night out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Here's Fernando's new enclosure for night time. He spent last night outside in it. He did good. This morning my husband opened it up and this is him coming out of it. It's new to him, but tonight I put him halfway up the ramp and he went right in. I hope he gets to love sleeping in there because Noah my 10 year old couldn't stand the smell in his room anymore. :D We put a rug on his ramp so he wouldn't slip coming down. We're looking for something to make it slip free. :D

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

DSC00928.jpg

DSC00932.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

DSC00940.jpg

And this is Fernando in his old home in the boys room in his extreme "Superman Pose". :p

DSC00849.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I love his little house!! It looks great :)
That Fernando is such a cutie :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks nice. Did you decide to go with no heat? Are you going to hibernate him later this year?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oh...Fernando!

What charm, what style! His face! :D

Who built that great bachelor pad? Is he still hanging out in your yard most of the time? :p

Do desert tortoises "smell"? That is interesting, as Taco doesn't really smell like anything except her substrate, and her poop, when she produces some, is pretty mild and odorless unless you put your face right up next to it (no, thank you!). :rolleyes:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What a house! Beautiful! I know exactly what you mean about the smell. If Pio eats Mazuri, his enclosure smells like a zoo.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I love the enclosure, the little house is soo cute :) Fernando is a real cutie, I just love the pic with the Superman pose :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thanks everybody. Tom, I do have heat in there, but am not sure yet about the hibernating thing. I am going to start a debatable thread soon about that so I can here everyone's opinions on it. After I asked JD so many questions about his awesome Sulcata enclosure I told my husband that that's what I wanted for Fernando and he was starting to build it, but when we went to Lowe's to get the plywood he saw this and said it would be so much cheaper then building one and it has everything he needs except a door. I said o.k. if he'd put a door on it and a piece of wood across the top for the heat emitter so he did. Fernando seems to like it now I just have to get him used to it so he goes in it by himself like Kimber's do. He been staying outside in it for the past two nights. He did start to smell up the boys room even though I changed his dirt once a week in his box. :)

jackiedots

5 Year Member
Dorset England
Thats a great looking house. What heat source are you using ?
My son built a ramp and he bought some metre lengths of round wood about 10 cm diameter ( I think we call it dowelling in England) and glued the strips across the ramp from side to side. It works a treat.
Fernando is really handsome !!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
terryo said:
What a house! Beautiful! I know exactly what you mean about the smell. If Pio eats Mazuri, his enclosure smells like a zoo.

Maybe I am lucky or Thor is too young (just over a year). But I smell absolutely no smells coming from his enclosure lol!

I love his house and his rug looks better than the rugs in my own house!

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Candy, you should be able to pick up some rubber matting at Lowes or Home Depot that is ribbed. I purchased some of this for a project and I used contact cement to adhere it to the wood. It would be perfect for his ramp and would be good footing if wet, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.