Ferguson Zone for a Russian Tortoise

Marcospoon

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Hello,

Is there anyone who can tell me what the Ferguson Zone is for a Russian hatchling? I want to make sure I have the correct lighting and I need to know which zone I should be shopping in. The lamp will be a distance of 16-18 inches from the basking area, sitting on top of a metal mesh lid. What should the UVI be for a Russian Tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know anything about any Ferguson zone, but metal mesh doesn't allow the UVB to penetrate down into the enclosure.

jso

55*N, UK
I don't know anything about any Ferguson zone, but metal mesh doesn't allow the UVB to penetrate down into the enclosure.
In fact different meshes do allow some UV to pass through, but it very much depends on the mesh. Some reduce it by 35-50%

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In fact different meshes do allow some UV to pass through, but it very much depends on the mesh. Some reduce it by 35-50%
True, however, nothing we use for uv should be blocked by any mesh. The artificial uv doesn't compare at all to the sun. So blocking any of the artificial isn't recommended. Also most so called mesh sold for enclosures will block too much. Best to just recommend mesh blocks uvb or most uvb