feral cats, spayed/ neutered. done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
Here is a pic of mom and dad post spay/neuter. Kittens are much more wary, don't come anywhere near if they sense we're around...

cropped1-2.jpg

calico mom ~ love the mask..

cropped2-1.jpg

having a drink.. RV doesn't mind sharing...

DSCN1641.jpg

daddy, day of release or day after. chilling in the yard. note the tipped L ear.

these pics were taken through the window. very wary. the male will hang around unless you go toward him. He's happy to hang in the back yard.......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love that mama cat. Next time I get a cat I'm gonna' look for a calico with lots of white on it. Problem being, I live in the country on a very busy street, and folks think its a great idea to drop their cats off in my neighborhood. And since I have cats and dry food out all the time, I get a lot of stray cats.

Sure wish I could catch my next door neighbor's cat. Good for you on the catch/release/spay/neuter thingey ma bob!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I think we were really lucky to get all 5 of them in one attempt. The adults were easy, as when they were in the cages (being oh-so-careful not to step on the trip-plate) we'd thump the glass door and startle them - they'd hit the side of the cage and trip the gate shut. Here it is illegal to trap the domestic animals tho. what would you do with your neighbors cat? I think if I have a problem in the future with neighbors animals, I'm gonna get a paintball gun and do some practice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My intention at first was to take it in and have it neutered, however when I asked the vet if I could bring him in whenever I could catch him (the vet only does surgeries on certain days), he told me that if the cat is prone to fighting, chances are good he won't stop fighting after being neutered. So now my intention is to take him to the S.P.C.A. anonymously.

I have one of the sweetest, most good natured cats ever. Little Brother is a sleek-looking, gentle, neutered black cat. The cat next door comes over whenever I'm not outside and just beats the holy hell out of Little Brother. In the process of trying to get away, Little Brother knocks over my potted cactus plans, breaking the pots and spilling dirt all over the place. Little Brother now has itchy bumps all over his body and he's been biting and scratching at himself so much that he has thin spots where you can see skin and bumps through the fur. I've taken him to the vet and the vet can't find any physical reason for the itchiness...no mites or fleas. So I'm guessing its because of nerves and the cat next door.

I have 4 outdoor cats, so when I set the trap, I have to lock my cats up for the night. Because of that, I only try the trap once a week. My cats really hate being locked up for the night. That darned cat just won't go into the trap!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I too advocate the catch, spay/neuter and release technique of cat control.

Great trapping techniques sharkstar. You've got good hunting technique to outsmart a wary hunter like that!

Yvonne, does your bully eat over at his own house? The only way to get one like that in the trap is by eliminating all other food sources.

Of course the aforementioned paintball practice is a good deterrent too.

Status
Not open for further replies.