Fennel & Russian torts... homesick remedy?

L

LasTortugasNinja

I was talking with a friend who has spent a lot of time in the native ranges of Russian torts working with the people there. He said they were often nuisances and would eat people’s gardens... including fennel. Looked on the uk tort table and it’s listed as a moderate to never food, but the reasons were extremely unclear. Fennel exists naturally from Spain to China, so I figured the odds are good my wild caught tort knows it. I bought a little stalk of it, and just bringing it in the house, my tort went wild and was excited. I chopped it up and mixed it with his regular meal, and he went for the fennel and radicchio first.

it stinks like licorice, so I’m not likely to buy it often, but I figured I’d post in case others with wild caught Russians are trying to motivate a feeding response.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Interesting. My Russian will usually take a couple of bites but not more than that.

I think the attraction might be to the sugar; it’s a pretty sweet plant.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Interesting. My Russian will usually take a couple of bites but not more than that.

I think the attraction might be to the sugar; it’s a pretty sweet plant.
Might be. I’m not privy to his thoughts. My job is not to ask why, but to serve. Lol