Status
Not open for further replies.

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Hi
not posted here for a while.
Probably may not be clear on what I'm saying, so apologies in advance.
I got 2 spur thighed (greek) tortoises last year, aged at 6 & said to be both female, also posted pictures on here & also told to be female. After a successful hibernation & 2 very happy girls, I was surprised to see the ramming, biting, butting, mounting begin in the last week. I'm no expert, but im guessing theyre not both female!
I just need advice as to what to do next. Do I leave them to sort it out, I will keep an eye out to ensure no or limited injury, or should I separate them from the start?
I just want to do whats best.
Thanks

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have seen my female redfoots mount one another. If they are 6 years old, you should be able to visually sex them Post some pics!
:)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
They could both very well be females. A female that is ready to be bred, with no male present, will often act like one, right down to courting another female. This can be especially true after a brumation (hibernation) period which is when Testudo would normally breed. This may also occur when a male is present in a group but not taking on the dominate role. Keeping them together may cause physically injury as well as an elevated stress level.

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Hi
Thanks for the replies. I'll put some pics up next. Any help is appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366548627.921854.jpg

Together

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366548841.357107.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366548876.972964.jpg

If any more pictures are needed, just say. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
the angle and the shape of the anal scute indicate that both of them are male that also justifies their ramming, aggression, butting etc but i'm not sure of why mounting.... and the tail also seems to be of moderate size larger than that of female...... well i'm not an expert but just saying ..... :)

esiotrot

5 Year Member
I think you could be right. I'm more swayed to them both being male now. What are the thoughts on keeping 2 males together? I've had them a year & this is the first trouble I've seen, but once it starts, doesn't it stop?

Lou x

Status
Not open for further replies.