Female Cherryhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I would like to know the chances of getting a female Cherryhead to go a long with Dale. He is 7" long and 4 1/2" wide and about 4 or 5 years old. I thought I had Edna, but 4 days before she was suppose to ship Shalon stopped answering me, so no Edna. I was so upset. I really thought Edna was beautiful and would have been a great addition for Dale. My questions are: How old or big does Dale have to be to breed? If I get a smaller female can I put it with Dale or will he just keep trying to breed with her? I heard once that the female should be older and bigger then the male to breed is this true? What are your opinions on what I should be looking for and why? I've seen some of the prices for the females that are bigger and that's hard to believe that they sell for that. I didn't realize that they were so hard to come by. My main objective is not to have babys but just a companion for Dale, but I'm afraid to get another male because some of you have said that sometimes they don't get a long and I figure in the long run Dale would (of course) prefer a female.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Candy said:
I would like to know the chances of getting a female Cherryhead to go a long with Dale. He is 7" long and 4 1/2" wide and about 4 or 5 years old. I thought I had Edna, but 4 days before she was suppose to ship Shalon stopped answering me, so no Edna. I was so upset. I really thought Edna was beautiful and would have been a great addition for Dale. My questions are: How old or big does Dale have to be to breed? If I get a smaller female can I put it with Dale or will he just keep trying to breed with her? I heard once that the female should be older and bigger then the male to breed is this true? What are your opinions on what I should be looking for and why? I've seen some of the prices for the females that are bigger and that's hard to believe that they sell for that. I didn't realize that they were so hard to come by. My main objective is not to have babys but just a companion for Dale, but I'm afraid to get another male because some of you have said that sometimes they don't get a long and I figure in the long run Dale would (of course) prefer a female.

I know I keep reading that they do, but my male cherries and redfoots don't fight with eachother - with or without females present, any more than they would briefly fight male to female or female to female. Maybe it's just mine, but they get along fine, really.

I was going to mention to you also, I've got a good sized group of cherryheads I'm raising up - currently almost 4" in length, and if you're really looking for one, I can bring a few to the Pomona show and explain to you why I think some are leaning female over the males. It won't really be a promise of a female, but I think I've got a few figured out. They would be a little more cost than my smaller cherries because of the size and time I have in them, but I can spare one if you're unable to find one somewhere else. Just let me know a few days before the show.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Candy, your chances of getting a female are excellent as they are offered for sale fairly regularly.
As your male is just a little kid right now, there is no rush so don't panic. True, he is probably able to breed at his age and size but waiting even as much as a year or two for a female is still just a blip on the radar. These animals live a very long time and a couple of years is nothing.
Keep in mind that when you do get and female (and you will) you must quarantine her for MONTHS at least before putting them together.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you Carl I thought Dale was still a little guy. Is it true that the female has to be older and bigger then the male or can I buy one that's smaller then Dale and put them together around May/2010 when he goes outside? Will it be a problem getting one smaller then him? I wouldn't want him to try things and possibly hurt a female. And where do you find bigger ones then him?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
The female's exact size doesn't matter AS LONG as she is mature enough breed. Females of various sizes have been offered for sale in recent months and I would assume that this will continue. For example, Mark and Allegra Fung-Lue picked up 2.4 long term adults at the Expo in Daytona this past summer.
Once again though I would caution you that whenever you do get another animal that you keep it apart from Dale for AT LEAST six months. Get it checked numerous times and treat it for bugs anyway.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I do plan on keeping them separated for sure. Thanks Carl for the information I will keep my eyes open for one. :)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I'll keep an eye out Candy. I'm on several classifieds, several times a day, looking at animals I don't have room for! :p It will be nice to be on a mission!

Status
Not open for further replies.